Quick pickled onions made from only five ingredients and made in only one hour! These are great for adding fun color and flavor to a wide variety of meals — especially salads.
I’m so excited to kick off a new series… #EBFbasics. There are so many basic recipes I want to include on the site but sometimes feel silly because they’re so simple. I decided to get over that fact and dive all-in to a series. You’ll have to let me know what you think about this! I feel like it’s these types of recipes that I’m always searching for/looking up so I hope I can be a resource for you!
So let’s jump into #EBFbasics with quick pickled onions. I love all things pickled, but rarely play around with pickling things at home. I’ve done some quick pickled spicy cucumbers but nothing beyond that… until now. Pickled red onions are so flavorful (both sweet and tangy) and I love the pretty pink color.
The name of this post doesn’t lie – they’re quick! You only have to “pickle” for about one hour before enjoying. I kept this recipe super simple with just vinegar, sugar, and salt but feel free to add more spices and seasonings to your liking (pepper, dill, garlic would all be delicious additions). I can see myself making these weekly just to have on hand.
Not all pickled onion recipes call for apple cider vinegar (ACV), but that’s what I prefer to use. If you’re new around here, you might not know my obsession with apple cider vinegar. ACV has a ton of great health benefits and works in a wide variety of recipes – everything from detox drinks to salad dressings and brussels sprouts.
Are you a pickle fan? What do I need to try next? Any suggestions for my new #EBFbasics series?Print
Quick pickled onions made from only five ingredients and made in only one hour! These are great for adding fun color and flavor to a wide variety of meals.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a bowl and whisk together until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Place onion slices in a mason jar and pour vinegar mixture on top, making sure all onion slices are covered with liquid.
- Let mixture sit at room temperature for 1 hour before covering and placing in the fridge.
- Onions can be stored in the liquid (in the fridge) for up to two weeks. Use a fork or slotted spoon to remove the onions from the liquid before using.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 9
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: quick pickled onions, pickled red onion
If you try this recipe for quick pickled onions be sure to leave me a comment and rate the recipe using the star rating. Your feedback helps me and all the other EBF readers too!