4-Ingredient Date Caramel Sauce
Published Oct 12, 2017, Updated Oct 19, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
A quick and easy recipe for 4-ingredient date caramel sauce made from Medjool dates. Perfect as a dip or topping for healthy treats.
We all know I love Medjool dates. You can eat them plain or stuffed with nut butter as a snack but I also love to use them in both sweet and savory recipes.
The Perfect Healthy Dip for Apples
This date caramel is sweet and delicious. It definitely still has sugar, but I love that the dates are able to provide the rich sweet caramel flavor along with fiber and a host of other vitamins and minerals. Medjool dates are a great source of potassium, copper, magnesium, vitamin B6, niacin, calcium, iron and vitamin K.
4 Ingredient Real Food Caramel
It’s too good to resist. And I love that it’s made with real food, simple ingredients. Added bonus, there’s no heavy cream or butter involved so this caramel is dairy-free and vegan. Boom!
- medjool dates – make sure you get Medjool dates, which are a fresh fruit, not dried! You’ll find them in the produce section of your grocery store. Your dates should be soft, not hard. If they are dry or hard, you can soak them in water for about 30 minutes, drain and then use them in the recipe.
- sea salt – just a touch, to bring the flavors together!
- vanilla extract – a flavor enhancer.
- unsweetened almond milk – you can use store-bought or make your own almond milk.
Ways to Use This Date Caramel
- Apple Nachos
- Salted Caramel Oatmeal
- Chocolate Caramel Ice Cream Bars
- Apple Samoas with Date Caramel
- Samoa Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Apples
4-Ingredient Date Caramel
- Add all ingredients (starting with ¾ cup almond milk) into a high powered blender or food processor and blend until mixture is smooth and there are no date chunks detectable.
- Add more almond milk, 1-2 Tablespoons at a time, if needed to help the blending process or to thin the caramel.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for later.
- Recipe works best fresh, soft medjool dates. If dates are dry or hard, you can soak them in water for about 30 minutes, drain and then use them in the recipe.
- If you’re using the smaller deglet noor dates, you’ll need to use more! This is something you can play around with to get the caramel sauce thickness you’re looking for.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.