Healthy Chocolate Caramel Ice Cream Bars
Published May 25, 2016, Updated Apr 18, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
A healthy frozen treat, these banana ice cream bars are topped with date caramel, sprinkled with walnuts and coated with a crunchy chocolate magic shell. They’re absolutely delicious, vegan, gluten-free and paleo!
Summer is almost here and before we know it, the temps are going to be crazy high and we’re going to be sweating through our clothes as soon as we walk outside. In case you didn’t know, that’s what the summer months are like here in Richmond. It’s lovely… if you have a pool. Sadly we don’t, so we have to find other ways to cool off, like eating copious amounts of fro yo, ice cream and popsicles.
And last but not least, my chocolate caramel ice cream bars made with banana ice cream.
They’re like a Klondike Bar, but made healthier. They’re diary-free, gluten-free, vegan, paleo-friendly and 100% calorie free. <— Just kidding about that last part. Gotta keep y’all on your toes. 😉
If you haven’t tried banana ice cream… you should know that it’s really awesome on its own. I’m a huge fan, but banana ice cream topped with a layer of date caramel, some walnuts and covered in chocolate is just ridiculously good. Seriously, these bars are probably one of the best no-bake treats I’ve ever posted here on EBF!
I can’t stop eating them. And it’s cool because they’re made with good-for-you ingredients. Even the crunchy, homemade chocolate “magic shell” is pretty healthy. It’s made with just three simple ingredients — cocoa powder, maple syrup and coconut oil.
One word of advice, do not skip the date caramel! It takes these ice cream bars over the top.
Gah! I’m pretty sure these are going to become a summer staple. I hope you get a chance to try them.
More Healthy Ice Cream Faves
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Mint Chip Avocado Ice Cream
- 3 Ingredient Icebox Cake
- Healthy Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Chocolate Caramel Banana Ice Cream Bars
- Line a 9” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Make banana ice cream by placing banana chunks into a food processor or blender. Process until bananas are smooth and the consistency of ice cream. Do not over process.
- Immediately spread banana ice cream into the prepared loaf pan. Place in the freezer while you prep the date caramel using the same food processor you used for the banana ice cream. Add dates and sea salt to the bowl of your processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as necessary. (You may need to soak your dates in water before processing if they seem dry.)
- Pull loaf pan with banana ice cream out of the freezer, spread date caramel over the ice cream and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap and place pan back in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight if you have the time.
- Once bars are frozen (the date caramel may still be sticky, but the ice cream should be pretty solid) remove bars from the loaf pan and quickly cut into 6 bars. Place the bars back into the freezer and start prepping the chocolate coating.
- Prepare chocolate by whisking together cocoa powder, maple syrup and melted coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Bring bars out of the freezer and work quickly to cover each with the chocolate. Start by spooning a good amount over each bar and then dip them to make sure all the sides get coated evenly. Place the coated bars on a platter lined with parchment paper and place the bars back in the freezer for a few minutes to set-up before serving. If you leave the bars in the freezer for quite a bit before serving, just let them rest out at room temperature for about 2 minutes before enjoying otherwise the ice cream will be too hard to bite through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.