Make healthy egg salad by replacing mayo with avocado and adding curry powder for a kick! This avocado egg salad has a rich, creaminess from the avocado and a robust sweet and savory spiciness from the curry powder.
Sunday I went to barre class and spent the rest of the day hanging out with my mom. While mom was over I made us a quick lunch of curried egg salad pitas. The recipe turned out to be quite good so I figured I would share it.
I don’t remember where (probably Pinterest) I saw a recipe for egg salad made with avocado instead of mayo. Isaac and I aren’t big mayo fans and we never have it in the fridge so this idea appealed to me. I put it in the back of mind and when I thought about making egg salad this weekend I decided to try it.
Adding curry powder to egg salad is something I started doing a couple years ago and now I don’t make egg salad without it. This particular recipe has a rich, creaminess from the avocado and a robust sweet and savory spiciness from the curry powder. The two pair together quite nicely. You can leave out the relish/pickles but I really like the flavor they add.
Curried Avocado Egg Salad
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 large avocado, cubed
- 1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons relish or chopped pickles (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mash together with a fork. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Place a portion of the egg salad in a pita pocket with little lettuce and tomato slices (or in between two slices of bread) and enjoy.
Egg salad isn’t something I think about making often, but when I do I’m always reminded of how much I like it!
Do you like egg salad? Have you ever tried curried egg salad?