Healthy Egg Salad
Published Apr 11, 2022, Updated Jul 25, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This healthy egg salad is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo. It’s lighter in calories, but still packed with flavor. Perfect served with crackers or on a sandwich.
I love egg salad! Like really love. I’ve shared a curried egg salad and an avocado egg salad, but somehow I’ve never shared my go-to egg salad recipe with you… until today!
This is a great staple recipe to have in your back pocket! It’s so simple to make and can be eaten a million different ways, which makes it perfect for meal prep.
Classic egg salad is made with mayonnaise, but in true EBF fashion, we’re lightning things up with full-fat Greek yogurt, which works well as a sub for mayo. I’m seriously obsessed with this recipe. I could eat it every week, it’s so good!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Once your eggs are cooked this salad comes together in about 5 minutes!
- It’s made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo, so has less fat and calories than traditional egg salad!
- It’s perfect for meal prep. Make a batch over the weekend so you have lunches ready to go for the week.
- hard-boiled eggs – here is a full tutorial on how to hard boil eggs!
- plain Greek yogurt – ditch the mayo for Greek yogurt! It’s packed with healthy fats and the perfect creamy base for this salad. You can use whatever fat level you like for the yogurt. I buy full-fat for my daughter so that’s typically what I use.
- dijon mustard – adds great flavor to this salad.
- chives – it wouldn’t be egg salad without chives!
- sea salt and pepper – for seasoning.
- fresh parsley or dill – these are optional, but I wouldn’t skip the fresh herbs! The fresh flavor adds so much and brings the dish altogether.
How to Make Healthy Egg Salad
Once your eggs are cooked it takes about 5 minutes total to prep this salad! Here’s how:
Make hard-boiled eggs – Use my guide for how to make hard-boiled eggs. Once eggs have fully cooled, peel and chop for egg salad. You can make these a day or two in advance if you’d like!
Combine ingredients – Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Top with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Substitutions & Notes
Add some crunch – Add some fresh celery to your egg salad for some crunch!
Spice it up – Mix in some Sriracha for some spice or smoked paprika for a little smokiness.
Chives – If you don’t have chives on hand, feel free to skip them or swap them with chopped onion.
How to Serve Egg Salad
There are so many ways to serve this healthy egg salad. Here are some serving suggestions:
- With crackers: Serve this egg salad with crackers for a snack or an appetizer. Try my almond flour crackers.
- As a sandwich: Make egg salad sandwiches by serving on sourdough bread. I love adding a slice of tomato, red onion, and lettuce to make it a full sandwich.
- Over greens: Top a bed of greens with this egg salad for a meal-sized salad or serve it in lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps.
Prepping and Storing Egg Salad
Egg salad is the perfect meal prep recipe! Double or triple this recipe for healthy meals and snacks all week long. After mixing all of the ingredients together, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. The salad will keep for 3-5 days.
More Egg Recipes
- Healthy Deviled Eggs
- Avocado Deviled Eggs
- Hummus Deviled Eggs
- Tuna Salad with Egg
- Egg White Bites
- Baked Egg Muffins
More Protein Salad Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Tuna Salad
- Turkey Salad
- Almond Butter Chicken Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Vegan “Chicken” Salad
- Salmon Salad
Be sure to check out all of the egg recipes as well as the full collection of salad recipes on EBF!
Healthy Egg Salad
- 6 hard boiled eggs, grated or finely chopped
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ Tablespoon chives, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or dill, for garnish
- lettuce leaves, bread or crackers, for serving
- If you haven't already, cook your eggs by placing eggs in a large saucepan and covering with water by at least 1 inch. Bring water to a rolling boil over high heat. Let the water rapidly boil for 30 seconds, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10-12 minutes.
- Once eggs have sat for the allotted time, drain water or use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the hot water. Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water or place the eggs in a colander and run cold water over them. Either of these methods will stop the cooking process and cool the eggs.
- Peel eggs by tapping all over to crack. Remove shell, starting at the larger side of the egg (with the air pocket).
- Once eggs are cool, chop them up and add them to a large mixing bowl with the Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, chives, pepper and salt.
- Top with fresh herbs if desired and serve.
- Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The salad will keep for 3-5 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I’ve made this twice in the last week, it’s delicious!
Woo! Love to hear that, Katie! Glad you’re enjoying it.
To write a beautiful post it is very important to write a beautiful container and have prepared a very good design and I got a lot of inspiration from your post and I would also like to post like you in my life.
If I can write like you, then I would be very happy, but where is my luck like this, really people like you are an example for the world. You have written this comment with great beauty, I am really glad I thank you from my heart.