Air Fryer Salmon
Published Jan 10, 2024, Updated Jan 19, 2024
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
A simple recipe for air fryer salmon that results in perfectly flaky and tender salmon fillets. It’s healthy, flavorful and ready in under 15 minutes.
Since purchasing an air fryer Isaac and I have become addicted. We absolutely love it and I’m kind of upset we put it off for so long! I love making different proteins and veggies in the air fryer for quick and easy dinners and this air fryer salmon recipe is one of my go-to’s.
It’s such a simple recipe that will give you a flavorful, perfectly cooked salmon filet in 15 minutes from start to finish! It’s perfect for meal prep or busy nights when you need dinner on the table fast.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Salmon Recipe
- Easy – It’s the perfect recipe for those busy weeknights. 6 ingredients, 15 minutes, and you’re ready to enjoy!
- Perfectly cooked – Your salmon filets will be perfectly tender and flaky. No dry or undercooked salmon here.
- Meal prep – Air fryer salmon is perfect for meal prep. I love making a couple filets for salads throughout the week.
// ★★★★★ REVIEW //
“Such an easy recipe with restaurant quality results! Loved by the kids & adults, minimal prep time & clean up. This will definitely become a regular go to. I’m looking forward to trying the other salmon recipes on the website. Thank you!” – Anna
As I mentioned above, you only need 6 simple ingredients to make this air fryer salmon! I bet you already have everything in your kitchen.
- salmon filets – salmon is packed with long-chain omega-3 fatty acids which can help reduce inflammation and blood pressure. It’s a great source of protein and has a ton of key vitamins and minerals. (Source) For this recipe you’ll want two 6 oz evenly sized filets of salmon with the skin on. I recommend getting individual filets from your grocer but don’t be afraid of frozen filets, either! Flash frozen fish can be just as healthy. Just make sure the salmon is thawed if you are using frozen filets.
- olive oil – this will coat your salmon, keep things moist and help the seasoning and spices to stick to the salmon.
- garlic – you’ll need one minced clove of garlic. If you don’t have any on hand you can use garlic powder, I’d use about 1/4 teaspoon to equal one clove.
- seasonings – sea salt and pepper to taste. Paprika is optional, but adds nice flavor! Smoked paprika would also add a nice smokiness!
- lemon – a slice of lemon for serving elevates this simple salmon dish.
How to Make Air Fryer Salmon
This recipe couldn’t be any easier to make! From start to finish it takes about 15 minutes. Here’s how to make it:
Step 1: Start by rubbing the olive oil, minced garlic, paprika (if using), salt and pepper on the flesh of each salmon filet.
Step 2: Preheat your air fryer if necessary. When it’s ready, place the salmon filets skin side down in your air fryer basket and air fry at 390ºF for 10-12 minutes. You’ll know the salmon is done with the flesh flakes off easily with a fork. Remove the salmon from your air fryer and let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips For Making the Best Air Fryer Salmon
- Size matters: Aim to get evenly sized pieces of salmon to ensure even cooking.
- Keep skin on: To help the salmon stay together while cooking I recommend keeping the skin on. You can easily remove it after cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd: Depending on the size of your air fryer and how many salmon filets you want to cook you might need to cook in batches as to not overcrowd your air fryer basket.
- Check for doneness: The cook time will vary depending on the size of your salmon filets and your air fryer. You’ll know your salmon is done when it easily flakes off with a fork. You can also use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. You’ll want your salmon to be at an internal temperature of 145°F.
Air Fryer Salmon Variations
- Cayenne – add some spice with a little cayenne pepper! I’d start with a pinch.
- Fresh herbs – sprinkle with some chopped fresh herbs when you take the salmon out of the air fryer. Chopped fresh parsley or dill would be delicious.
- Tahini – whip up my citrus tahini dressing and drizzle it on top!
- Soy sauce or tamari – drizzle on soy sauce or tamari before cooking for an added umami flavor.
- Blackened seasoning – I love blackened salmon and you can easily switch things up and cook my blackened salmon recipe in the air fryer.
How to Serve Air Fryer Salmon
There are so many ways you can use this air fryer salmon! Whether you keep it simple with a side of veggies and rice like I usually do, or incorporate it into other recipes, you won’t be disappointed. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Some veggie sides ideas include baked sweet potato fries, simple beet greens, roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus. If you want to make some air fryer veggies you could make this air fryer asparagus, air fryer sweet potatoes or air fryer brussels sprouts.
- Add a grain like quinoa, cauliflower rice or cilantro rice to make it a complete meal!
- Serve over a salad like my garlicky kale salad, sweet kale salad or easy spinach salad. Or you can make my kale caesar salad with salmon instead of shrimp. Really, you can boost the protein for any of my salad recipes with this salmon!
- Use this air fryer salmon in my superfood salmon salad, Mediterranean salmon salad or pesto salmon bowl.
- Leftover salmon would be perfect in the viral salmon rice bowl!
- Add to this salmon mac and cheese bowl.
How to Store and Meal Prep
This air fryer salmon is perfect for meal prep! Just prepare and cook the air fryer salmon as directed below, then let it cool slightly before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You’ll have perfectly cooked and delicious salmon to eat any night (or day!) of the week.
To reheat, add salmon to a skillet over medium low heat until heated throughout
Air Fryer Salmon FAQ’s
That depends on your air fryer! Some recommend preheating and others do not require it. Check your owners’ manual to see what they recommend. If you don’t have a preheat setting, just set your air fryer to the required temperature about 3 minutes before adding your food.
No, there is no need to flip salmon when cooking it in the air fryer. Simply place salmon filets skin side down in air fryer and cook on 390°F for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
It takes about 10-12 minutes at 390°F to cook salmon. Although the time may vary depending on the size of your salmon filets.
You can spray your air fryer with non-aerosol cooking spray to help keep the salmon from sticking, but my air fryer is non-stick so I don’t find this necessary.
You can use frozen salmon filets for this recipe! Just make sure the salmon is thawed prior to air frying.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
Popular Salmon Recipes to Try
Air Fryer Salmon
- Rub oil, minced garlic, paprika (if using) salt and pepper on on the flesh of each salmon fillet.
- Preheat air fryer if required. Spray air fryer with non-aerosol cooking spray, if desired. Place salmon filets skin side down in air fryer and cook on 390°F for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Cook time will vary depending on the size of your salmon filets.
- Once cooked and salmon easily flakes off with a fork, remove salmon from the air fryer and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve salmon with slice of lemon and sides of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.