Air Fryer Salmon Bites
Published Sep 06, 2023, Updated Jan 19, 2024
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These air fryer salmon bites are marinated in a simple teriyaki sauce and cook up in under 10 minutes. They’re crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and absolutely delicious served with rice and veggies or on top of a salad.
If you’re a seafood lover and looking for a healthy, delicious and speedy meal, then these air fryer salmon bites are for you!
I love my air fryer salmon recipe, but these salmon bites might just be my new favorite way to cook salmon in the air fryer. They’re perfectly tender on the inside, crisp on the outside, loaded with flavor and cook up in under 10 minutes making it the perfect recipe to make when you need to get dinner on the table fast!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: These salmon bites cook up in under 10 minutes in the air fryer, which is way faster than cooking salmon in the oven!
- Healthy: Salmon is rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, and when cooked in the air fryer, it requires less oil, making it a healthier option.
- Flavor-packed: With a marinade of tamari, maple syrup, garlic and ginger each bite is packed with a burst of umami, sweetness and a hint of spice.
- Versatile: Perfect as an appetizer, snack or protein addition to your meal.
- salmon – the star of the dish. We’re using 1 lb of salmon fillets and you can keep the skin on or off depending to your preference. I recommend getting fresh salmon from your grocer but don’t be afraid of frozen salmon, either! Flash frozen fish can be just as healthy. Just make sure the salmon is thawed first if you are using frozen filets.
- oil – I recommend avocado oil or sesame oil, but olive oil is another good option.
- tamari or soy sauce – adds a umami flavor to the salmon. Use low-sodium to control the salt level. Coconut aminos will work as a substitute.
- maple syrup or honey – a touch of natural sweetness to balance out the flavors in the marinade.
- garlic – minced garlic infuses the salmon with tons of flavor. Fresh garlic works best, but you could also use garlic powder if you don’t have fresh on hand.
- apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar – adds a slight tanginess to the marinade.
- fresh ginger – freshly grated or minced ginger brings in a spicy zing.
- sesame seeds and green onions – for garnishing and additional flavor. These are totally optional, but highly recommended.
How to Make
Prepare marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, tamari, maple syrup, garlic, vinegar and ginger until well combined.
Marinate salmon: Using a sharp knife, cut the salmon filet(s) into bite-sized chunks and add them to the marinade. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours for more flavor absorption.
Cook salmon: Place the marinated salmon cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, flipping the chunks halfway.
Garnish and serve: Serve the cooked salmon bites warm over your grain of choice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and top with sliced green onions, if desired.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Salmon Bites
There are so many ways you can serve these air fryer salmon bites! Whether you keep it simple with a side of veggies and rice like I usually do, or incorporate it into other recipes, you won’t be disappointed. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Some veggie sides ideas include roasted broccoli, air fryer broccoli, roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potatoes, air fryer brussels sprouts, air fryer zucchini, roasted carrots or roasted asparagus.
- Add a grain like quinoa, cauliflower rice or cilantro rice to make it a complete meal! Pro tip: serve it with a drizzle of this peanut dressing or tahini sauce for a flavor blast.
- Serve over a salad like my garlicky kale salad, sweet kale salad or easy spinach salad. Really, you can boost the protein for any of my salad recipes with this salmon!
- Meal prep these air fryer salmon bites for lunches throughout the week with this asian noodle meal prep bowl or salmon meal prep bowl.
- Use these air fryer salmon bites in my teriyaki salmon bowls.
- Leftover salmon would be perfect in the viral salmon rice bowl!
- Make salmon tacos by swapping the tofu for these seasoned salmon bites in this asian tofu taco recipe.
Tips For Success
- Type of salmon filets: While any type of salmon works well for this recipe, wild-caught varieties like King or Sockeye offer a more robust flavor.
- Marinate longer for more flavor: While 30 minutes is the minimum, marinating up to 4 hours or overnight will deepen the flavors. If you’re pressed for time, even 15 minutes can work in a pinch.
- Avoid overcrowding: Make sure to place the salmon bites in a single layer in the air fryer. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking.
- Don’t forget to flip: Don’t skip flipping the salmon halfway through. This ensures even cooking and a delectable crust.
- Check for doneness: For optimal results, use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the salmon reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Customize your recipe: This recipe is straightforward and super simple, which leaves plenty of room for you to add your favorite ingredients. If you want to add some heat to the bites, think about using black pepper, paprika, or cayenne pepper. If you want to add some acidity, give them a bit of fresh lemon juice. If you like your salmon with butter, think of coating them in garlic butter. Really, the sky is the limit for what you can do with these bites.
Can I Make These Salmon Bites in The Oven?
Yes! I’ve made these salmon bites in the oven and they turned out awesome! To make these in the oven just prepare your salmon as directed and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400°F.
How to Store
Store any leftover salmon bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the salmon bites in the air fryer at 350°F for 2-3 minutes. This will help them retain their crispiness.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Vegetables
Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- 1 lb salmon, skin removed (or not)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil, or sesame oil
- ¼ cup low sodium tamari, or soy sauce
- ½ Tablespoon maple syrup, or honey
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- sesame seeds and green onions, for serving
- Add oil, tamari, maple syrup, garlic, vinegar and ginger to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Using a sharp knife, chop salmon into bite size chunks.
- Add the salmon chunks to the sauce and place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook the salmon, preheat the air fryer if required. Place marinated salmon chunks in the air fryer in a single layer and cook for 6-8 minutes at 400°F, flipping halfway. Cook salmon in batches if needed.
- Serve salmon bites warm over rice, or grain of choice and top with sesame seeds and green onions.
- To make in the oven: Prepare your salmon as directed and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400°F.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.