Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Published Dec 30, 2021, Updated Feb 22, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
How to make air fryer chicken breasts that are perfectly tender and moist. They’re flavorful, easy to make and super versatile. Enjoy right away for a simple dinner or use for meal prep throughout the week.
Sometimes thinking of what to serve for dinner feels like more of a chore than actually making dinner itself. Enter air fryer chicken breasts. This recipe is so easy to make and uses pantry staple items so it’s perfect in a pinch! Plus, its super versatile and can be used in so many recipes that you’ll come back to this recipe time and time again!
Isaac and I make a version of this dinner multiple times a week, especially when we’re both really busy. Its just dependable like that! The chicken always comes out moist and flavorful and it’s easy to serve with other meal prep items like rice and veggies for a healthy meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Make perfectly tender and moist chicken every time!
- You only need minimal, pantry staple ingredients and it’s super easy to put together.
- It’s great for weekly meal prep!
- It’s a versatile recipe that can be customized to your liking!
Here’s What You Need
- chicken breasts – this recipe is perfect for 2 chicken breasts, about 1 lb total. I prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, I haven’t tried bone in chicken but if you try it, let me know how it comes out in the comments!
- olive oil – helps to keep the chicken from sticking to the air fryer basket and helps the seasonings adhere to the chicken.
- apple cider vinegar – this helps tenderize the meat and gives it a great flavor.
- dijon mustard – pairs nicely with the apple cider vinegar and imparts a delicious flavor.
- seasonings – garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
pro tip! Look for a package that has two equally sized chicken breasts so they will cook evenly.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Start by gathering your ingredients. Whisk together the oil, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard in a small bowl and then set it aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. In a third bowl, pour the marinade over the chicken breasts and then liberally rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
Preheat or turn your air fryer on to 375ºF and add the seasoned chicken breasts to the air fryer basket and cook for 18-22 minutes. You’ll want to make sure you flip the chicken about halfway through to ensure even cooking. The chicken breasts need to reach 165ºF on the inside, so keep in mind your cook time will vary depending on the size of each breast.
Once cooked, remove from the air fryer and let the chicken rest for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Air Fryer FAQ
That depends on your air fryer! Some recommend preheating and others do not require it. Check your owners’ manual to see what they recommend. If you don’t have a preheat setting, just set your air fryer to the required temperature about 3 minutes before adding your food.
It depends on the size of your basket. You’ll want to make sure you don’t overcrowd the basket or your food will not get crispy. You may need to cook in batches.
I do not recommend using aerosol spray on your air fryer! Like most non-stick items, it’s best to avoid sprays like Pam as it can mess with the finish.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Chicken
The beauty of this air fryer recipe is that it produces super flavorful chicken that you can use in a variety of ways! Here are some ideas for easy week night dinners and meal prep!
- Busy day and don’t know what to make for dinner? Make air fryer chicken and serve it with a side of easy cilantro rice and roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus for a complete meal with proteins, fats and carbs. Better yet, while you’re letting the chicken sit after cooking, use your air fryer to make air fryer brussels sprouts!
- Serve with my healthy ranch pasta salad or healthy pasta salad to turn a side dish into a meal.
- Shred the chicken and use it in chicken noodle soup, white bean chicken chili, confetti chicken casserole or curried chicken salad. Shredded chicken would also be great addition to a stir fry.
How to Store And Meal Prep
Air fryer chicken is a perfect meal prep option and will store both in the fridge and the freezer nicely!
Just prepare the chicken as the recipe states, let it cool slightly and then put it in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you are going to freeze it, I suggest portioning out your chicken ahead of time and freezing individually, that way you can just take out the container or ziplock containing what you need instead of all of it at once! Even better? Pre-shred or chop for easier defrosting. The chicken will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to use your freezer air fryer chicken, place it in the fridge about 24 hours before you want to use it so it has time to thaw.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Tofu
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Pasta Chips
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Popular Chicken Recipes
- Apple Cider Vinegar Chicken
- Maple Turmeric Chicken
- Za’atar Chicken Bake
- Blackened Chicken Cobb Salad
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
Be sure to check out all of the popular chicken recipes and the full collection of the air fryer recipes here on EBF!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 2 chicken breasts about 1 lb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Whisk together oil, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Pour marinade over chicken breasts.
- Liberally rub seasoning on both sides of chicken.
- Preheat air fryer if required. Add chicken breasts to the air fryer and cook on 375°F for 18-22 minutes, until cooked fully, flipping once halfway. You want the chicken breasts to be 165°F on the inside. Cook time will vary depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from the air fryer and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy chicken immediately or let cool, package in storage containers and save for later use.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I love this chicken marinade. It’s now my go-to favorite.
Woo! I’m so pumped to hear that you love this chicken marinade, Ashlee. I’m hooked on it too!
I have never been confident cooking chicken as it usually comes out dry. This recipe, however was so easy and the chicken came out delicious and juicy. This will now be my go to chicken recipe.
That’s so great to hear, Raquel! I’m glad this recipe worked out for you. Thank you for your comment and review!
I have different functions on my Ninja. I have air crisp, grill, bake, or roast? Which do you suggest for your recipe?
Hi Kellie, all air fryers are different so you might need to play around to find what works best. I would probably recommend roast first!
Delicious! Love this marinade and my Air fryer. Another great recipe from you!
Yay! I am glad you are loving this recipe! Thank you for coming back and sharing your review + star rating, I so appreciate it.
See More Comments