Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Published Jul 28, 2023, Updated Sep 27, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This rotisserie chicken salad is made with avocado oil mayo, red onion and celery for a quick and easy meal. It’s perfect for meal prep and delicious served on a sandwich or with crackers.
Say hello to your new favorite lunch staple… rotisserie chicken salad.
This is my go-to recipe when I want a delicious and satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen. With a rotisserie chicken on hand, the salad comes together in no time, making it perfect for busy weekdays or a quick weekend bite.
Why You’ll Love This Salad
- It comes together in about 5 minutes with only 5 main ingredients!
- It’s perfect for meal prep. Make a batch over the weekend so you have lunches ready to go for the week.
- Enjoy it on its own, as a sandwich, or use it as a topping for your greens – the possibilities are endless.
- rotisserie chicken – we’re using shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken, which makes this recipe come together in a matter of minutes.
- red onion – adds some zest and a little crunch. Feel free to adjust the quantity based on your taste preference.
- celery – adds some more texture and crunch!
- mayonnaise – this is the creamy base of our salad. I love using the Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo, which is sugar-free, dairy-free and refined oil-free.
- dijon mustard – adds a tangy kick to the salad, complementing the creamy mayo.
- salt and pepper – essential for seasoning. Adjust according to your taste.
How to Make
Once your chicken is shredded and veggies are chopped this rotisserie chicken salad recipe takes about 5 minutes to make!
Just combine your shredded chicken, chopped red onion and celery in a large bowl. Add the mayo, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix everything together until it’s well combined. The chicken and veggies should be thoroughly coated in the mayo and mustard mixture.
You can enjoy your chicken salad right away with crackers or as a sandwich or you can chill it in the fridge before serving.
Substitutions & Notes
Chicken – If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken on hand, you can also make shredded chicken in the slow cooker or Instant Pot or you can use any leftover grilled chicken breast chopped up. Just make sure it’s well seasoned!
Mayo – If you prefer a different type of mayo, feel free to use that. Plain Greek yogurt also makes a good healthier swap, adding a tangy creaminess to the salad.
Add-Ins – Feel free to add in any extra mix-in’s to this chicken salad. Some ideas are sliced grapes, apples or dried cranberries for sweetness, chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts or almonds for some crunch or fresh herbs for additional flavor.
Spice it up – Mix in some Sriracha for some spice or smoked paprika for a little smokiness.
How to Serve Rotisserie Chicken Salad
There are so many ways to serve this rotisserie chicken salad. Here are some serving suggestions:
- With crackers: Serve this chicken salad with crackers for a snack or an appetizer. Try my almond flour crackers.
- As a sandwich: Make chicken salad sandwiches by serving on sourdough bread or croissants. I love adding tomato and cucumber slices, red onion and lettuce or spinach to make it a full sandwich.
- Over greens: Top a bed of greens with this chicken salad for a meal-sized salad or serve it in lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps.
- Chicken stuffed avocados: Hollow out an avocado and stuff it with this chicken salad for a creative and nutritious meal.
How to Store
Chicken salad is the perfect meal prep recipe! After mixing all of the ingredients together, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. The salad will keep for 3-4 days.
More Protein Salads:
- Tuna Salad
- Healthy Egg Salad
- Vegan “Chicken” Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Turkey Salad
- Tuna Egg Salad
- Salmon Salad
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Almond Butter Chicken Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Cottage Cheese Salad
More Chicken Salad Recipes:
- Thai Curry Chicken Salad
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad
- Chicken Fajita Pasta Salad
- Blueberry Corn Chicken Salad
- Blackened Chicken Cobb Salad
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup avocado oil mayo
- ½ Tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add chicken, red onion, celery, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper or mayo, if needed.
- Enjoy right away or chill before serving. Serve with crackers for a snack or appetizer, on bread or a wrap for a sandwich or over a bed of greens.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.