Good morning and Happy 2014! I hope you had a lovely time ringing in the New Year. After spending New Year’s Eve in Vegas last year, I was ready for something a tad more low-key this year. We ended up spending the evening with the same couple we went to Vegas with — made dinner at their house, did a champagne toast at midnight, danced and played fousball. It was perfect!
I have two cookie recipes I still need to share with you all but since I know I’m probably not the only one craving veggies and nutritious food after the holidays, I figured today would be a good day for a veggie packed recipe.
I have to thank my boss for sending me the original recipe that I used as an inspiration when making this dish. She and I have the same tastes when it comes to food and she’s always finding some of the best recipes so whenever she mentions that she made something that was delicious, I pretty much immediately put it on my to-make list.
This salad is packed with many so many healthy foods and given that it involves many of my favorite foods, I knew I was going to fall in love with it. You can never go wrong with roasted veggies and I love the fact that the kale is roasted too and gets a little crunchy, making it like having kale chips in your salad.
It tastes wonderful warm, right after mixing the warm roasted veggies with the quinoa, but it also stores well in the fridge and tastes great cold as well. I made one batch, ate it for dinner one night and then ate it for lunch and snacks several days in a row.
Roasted Broccoli & Kale Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 2 cups water (or veggie broth)
- 1/2 pound broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into 1/4 - 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 1 bunch laccinto kale, roughly chopped
- olive oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 3 Tablespoons feta cheese
- juice from one lemon
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover and let it do it's thing for 15 minutes. Remove from heat after 15 minutes and place quinoa in a large bowl to cool.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Then place the chickpeas on a paper towels or hand towel to dry.
- Toss broccoli and sweet potato chunks with a little olive oil and roast at 425ºF for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add your kale and chickpeas to the roasting pan. Toss, and roast for another 15 minutes. Stirring the veggies around at least once during the roasting process.
- Once your veggies are nice and roasted, remove from the oven and combine them with the quinoa.
- Chop parsley, crumble feta, and add to the quinoa/vegetable mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar and maple syrup. Gently stir in oil, and add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Toss dressing over quinoa/vegetable mixture. Enjoy and store any leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days.
by Brittany Mullins