This quinoa breakfast bowl is the perfect way to switch up your normal routine of having oatmeal every morning. It also gives you an added boost of protein!
If you’ve been reading EBF for a while, you already know that quinoa is one of my favorite grains (even though it’s actually a seed, I think of it as a grain). Not only is it high in protein, but the protein that it supplies is complete, meaning it includes all nine essential amino acids. Plus, it’s gluten free, which is perfect for those avoiding wheat and gluten.
I love adding quinoa to savory dishes (this white bean quinoa salad is one of my favs) but I’ve experimented with having it for breakfast as well. In the past I’ve made hot quinoa flakes, overnight quinoa, quinoa flake bakes and quinoa parfaits, but more recently I’ve been trying my hand at making quinoa as a hot breakfast option instead of oatmeal.
Today I whipped up a batch of cinnamon raisin quinoa with Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla almondmilk and it turned out to be quite delicious—almost as good as a cinnamon raisin cookie. Almost. 🙂
Warm Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Breakfast
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds (or ground flax seed)
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter (optional)
- Rinse quinoa and drain.
- Place almond milk and quinoa into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. **Watch the pot carefully and stir often because it has a tendency to want to boil over.
- When ready to eat, place a portion of the quinoa into a bowl, drizzle with maple syrup and top with chia seeds, raisins and nut butter.
This breakfast is the perfect way to switch up your normal routine of having oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast and gives you an added boost of protein to get through your morning! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Have you ever experimented with sweet quinoa—for breakfast or otherwise? I’m thinking a quinoa dessert recipe should be next on my list.
I was compensated by FitFluential LLC for this campaign. All opinions are my own.