Chicken Fajita Bowls
Published Mar 29, 2017, Updated Feb 22, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These chicken fajita quinoa bowls come together in about 30 minutes for an easy weeknight dinner. They feature spiced-up chicken, sautéed peppers and a creamy avocado goat cheese sauce all served over a bed of quinoa.
These chicken fajita quinoa bowls are perfect. You’re getting plenty of carbs from the quinoa and veggies, a good source of protein from the chicken and healthy fat from the avocado goat cheese sauce.
Plus, you can’t go wrong with fajitas — they’re seriously one of my favorites!
Also, can we talk about this avocado goat cheese sauce? I got the idea from tacos in a meal kit delivery service that we love and it’s like a tangy sour cream, but with the flavor of goat cheese. I’m obsessed with how creamy it is.
More Mexican Inspired Meals
- Healthy Mexican Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Guacamole with Frozen Peas
- Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 1 cup of red or white quinoa I used a blend of the two
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- romaine lettuce
- pico de gallo or salsa
- hot sauce
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Place water, salt and quinoa into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let pot sit, covered for 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, get started cooking everything else. Heat a large skillet with 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add in garlic, onions, red and yellow bell pepper, salt and chili powder. Sauté until veggies are tender, but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer veggies to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, add chicken, lime juice, oil and seasonings (chili powder, garlic powder, cumin paprika, salt and pepper) and cook over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare avocado goat cheese sauce. Add avocado, goat cheese, lime juice and sea salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once everything is cooked and dressing is prepped, make bowls by adding a base of quinoa, 1/4 of the chicken and 1/4 of the bell peppers. Add chopped romaine, pico de gallo or salsa and freshly chopped cilantro for serving. Drizzle on the avocado goat cheese sauce. To make it look really pretty you can add the sauce to a zip-lock baggie, cut the tip and squeeze the sauce over each bowl in a zigzag pattern. Add a little hot sauce (if using) and dig in!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I can’t wait to try this! I love Simple Truth as well and didn’t know they sell a goat cheese. Awesome video too!
Yum! These look so good! I have them on my list to make next week.
Please add a Yummly link so we can easily save your recipes.
Hi Tobi — I have the yummly social share button at the bottom of each post. Is it too hard to find?
I cant stand goats cheese – do you recommend another cheese as a substitute
Instead of doing another cheese I would probably just do fresh avocado slices and a squeeze of lime juice. 🙂
SO GOOD!!!! This was delicious 🤤 Will definitely be making this again!
Woo!! That makes me so happy to hear, Sarah! Thanks for the review 🙂
So tasty and easy to put together. Love the avocado goat cheese sauce — I would not have put those together but it made the dish.
YAY! I am so happy to hear that this recipe is a hit, Beth! Thanks you so much for your review + star rating, I truly appreciate it!