Vegan Burrito Bowl
Published Aug 25, 2021, Updated Jan 07, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These Chipotle inspired vegan burrito bowls are so easy to make at home and great for meal prep. Toppings include cilantro rice, tofu sofritas, black beans and corn salsa.
Will I ever get sick of Chipotle? I sure hope not! I have been obsessed with their burrito bowls since college and although Cava falafel bowls are my go-to at the moment, Chipotle bowls are still a fan-favorite over here!
Whenever I find a restaurant meal that I absolutely love I take it upon myself to make a copycat version so that I (and you!!) can make it at home whenever we please!
It’s always a fun challenge to try to recreate my fave restaurant meals. Plus I love knowing exactly what ingredients are going into my recipes and customizing them to my liking.
Here’s What You Need
The ingredients for these vegan burrito bowls are pretty simple and I’ve created recipes for Chipotle cilantro lime rice, tofu sofritas and the corn salsa so they really do taste like the real deal!
- romaine lettuce – I like to start my burrito bowls with a base of greens! I use romaine lettuce because I love the crunch, but any leafy green works great.
- cilantro lime rice or brown rice – make my cilantro lime rice for a true Chipotle copycat or use brown rice… it’s still delicious! Cilantro lime cauliflower rice would make for a great low-carb option.
- tofu sofritas – these tofu sofritas are the perfect vegan option for your burrito bowl. It’s loaded with flavor and comes together in under 30 minutes!
- black beans – I use canned black beans for ease. Make sure you drain and rinse them well before using!
- corn salsa – my copycat Chipotle corn salsa is so delicious in this bowl but you can also use cooked corn for a shortcut!
- red onion – to add a little zest!
- fresh cilantro – optional but I love adding fresh herbs for topping.
- guacamole – you can make your own (I love my green pea guacamole that’s made with frozen peas or this traditional guacamole) or use store-bought. It’s not a burrito bowl without guac is it?!
- fresh salsa – last but not least, I top my bowl with fresh salsa. Any kind works!
Take a Shortcut!
You can make these burrito bowls in 15 minutes by taking these shortcuts:
- Use frozen rice – cooks up in minutes!
- Use frozen roasted corn – no need to defrost, just pop it in the oven for a few minutes to heat.
- Use plain tofu or veggie meat crumbles – trust me, this bowl has enough flavor going on that you can use plain tofu or veggie meat crumbles and won’t be missing out! Sauté either in a pan until heated throughout.
- Use store-bought guacamole and salsa – save major time by using the store-bought versions! You can also use fresh avocado in place of guacamole.
How to Prep in Advance
If you want the real deal but don’t have time to make everything for these vegan burrito bowls in one night, you can prep all of the components in advance for faster assembly. Here’s what I would prep in advance:
- Sofritas – these only take about 30 minutes to cook but that’s precious time on busy weeknights! Make these during your weekend meal prep for quick assembly on the night of.
- Cilantro rice – this rice is hands off once it’s cooking but it still takes a little prep. Make a batch at the beginning of the week and use all week long!
- Corn salsa – so simple to whip this up in advance!
How to Store Leftovers
These vegan burrito bowls are great because they store so well! I recommend storing each component in their own airtight container. Everything should last 5 days in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to enjoy, heat up the warm components and assemble your burrito bowl!
More Copycat Recipes to Try
- Egg White Bites
- Tomatillo Avocado Dressing
- Health Nut Smoothie
- Chocolate Hazelnut Balls
- Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- Almond Pesto Dip
- Mother Earth Bowl (Flower Child Copycat)
Popular Mexican Recipes to Try
- Taco Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Kale Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Vegan Enchiladas
- Red Chilaquiles
Be sure to check out all the vegan recipes here on EBF!
Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Prep your tofu sofritas, cilantro rice and corn salsa if you haven't done so already. You can prep all of these ahead of time to save time. Short on time? Check out my notes!
- To make bowls, add a base of shredded romaine lettuce to each bowl and top with a 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 portion of sofritas, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup corn salsa, red onion, cilantro, guacamole (or avocado) and fresh salsa.
- Romaine lettuce: Feel free to swap the romaine with any leafy green.
- Rice: Swap the rice with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option!
- Tofu sofritas: You can swap this with plain tofu or veggie meat crumbles.
- Black beans: Refried beans would also be delicious.
- Corn salsa: Use cooked corn for a shortcut!
- Red onion: Yellow onion would also work.
- Guacamole: I love making my homemade healthy guacamole, but store-bought or sliced avocado also works.
- Salsa: Homemade or store-bought works. You can also just top your burrito bowl with sliced tomatoes.
- Need fast burrito bowls? You can make these burrito bowls in 15 minutes by using frozen rice, frozen roasted corn and plain tofu or veggie meat crumbles. See my instructions for how to make this version above within the blog post.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.