Strawberry Quinoa Parfait
Published Jul 12, 2021, Updated Jan 30, 2024
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Layers of quinoa with Greek yogurt and strawberries make for a tasty strawberry shortcake quinoa parfait that’s loaded with protein. Naturally sweetened and great for dessert or breakfast!
The other night Isaac and I were still a little hungry after dinner and were searching the kitchen for a snack. We had a pint of local strawberries in the fridge and one of us mentioned something about making strawberry shortcake for dessert and it sounded perfect.
We didn’t have whipped cream or pound cake so I had to get creative with what we had on hand. I saw some cooked quinoa sitting in the fridge and decided to try sweetening it up to make a strawberry shortcake inspired dessert.
Quinoa For Dessert
I took the leftover quinoa and added a little almond milk, some maple syrup and vanilla. After a quick taste test, I was sold so then I started layering it with Greek yogurt and fresh berries for a simple parfait. It turned out to be really tasty and completely satisfied our craving for strawberry shortcake so I had to share!
tip! This strawberry shortcake quinoa parfait is healthy enough for breakfast and sweet enough for dessert. It's loaded with protein from the Greek yogurt and quinoa and has less sugar than some flavored yogurts. Plus! All of the sugar is from natural, unrefined sources.
Cooking Quinoa for Parfait
When it comes to cooking quinoa to use for this parfait, it’s basically the same process as normal, but I like to make my quinoa a day in advance, let it cool and chill it in the fridge overnight and then use it for the parfaits the next day.
Having the quinoa ready to go allows you to prep the parfaits quickly. If you want to make the parfaits the same day, still allow the quinoa to cool in the fridge for a couple hours.
I like to prep my quinoa in advance for easy assembly but you can make it day of as well. Just make sure you let the quinoa cool in the fridge for a couple of hours before building your parfait!
Quinoa Parfait Ingredients
- quinoa – I prefer to use white quinoa for this recipe.
- unsweetened almond milk – I like to use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will do.
- pure maple syrup – pure maple syrup is the perfect natural sweetener to use, but you can use another liquid sweetener like honey, agave or monk fruit maple syrup.
- vanilla extract – a wonderful flavor enhancer.
- sea salt – just a pinch.
- plain Greek yogurt – I prefer Greek yogurt because it’s a great source of protein, but any type of yogurt will work. You can use non-dairy yogurt to make this dairy free.
- fresh strawberries – the star of the show! I recommend using fresh, not frozen strawberries.
More Healthy Treats to Try
More Strawberry Recipes to Try
- Strawberry Protein Muffins
- Strawberry Frosé
- Roasted Strawberry Cottage Cheese Bowl
- Easy Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Easy Strawberry Cake
Strawberry Quinoa Parfait
- Cook quinoa if you haven't already. Cook 1 cup of dry quinoa according to the package directions. Allow to cool and then place in fridge to chill for a 1-2 hours. This step is best beforehand so you can prep the parfaits quickly.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together 2 cups chilled quinoa, unsweetened almond milk, 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl combine Greek yogurt with remaining 1 Tablespoon maple syrup.
- Layer quinoa mixture, Greek yogurt and berries in a dish. Repeat layers however many times you’d like. Top with a few berries and enjoy.
- Almond milk: I like to use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will do.
- Maple syrup: Feel free to use any liquid sweetener of choice like honey, agave, monk fruit or stevia.
- Yogurt: Use dairy-free yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.