This healthy Greek quinoa salad features baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, almonds and a tangy lemon dressing. Works as a make-ahead lunch option and is a total crowd pleaser at summer cookouts.
Hiya! I hope your week is off to an awesome start. I started mine with a shaky Pure Barre class so I’m feeling gooood.
You know what else I’m feeling? Quinoa salad!
I’ve decided that I need a go-to quinoa salad recipe for every season. I already have one for spring so now it’s time for a summery version.
Throughout the summer months our local farmers market is bursting with juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and gorgeous fresh herbs so I decided to combine all these things into a Greek influenced quinoa salad.
I’ve been making Greek quinoa salad for years — namely this version with white beans — but today’s version is a tad different. The base is essentially the same, but there’s cucumber and blanched almonds added for a little crunch, feta cheese(!!), and instead of fresh avocado I used nutrient-rich avocado oil. You still get the subtle avocado flavor and creaminess, but no brown chunks or mushiness when you serve the leftover salad.
I also left the beans out this time around since I know not everyone is a fan, but feel free to add white beans or chickpeas if you’d like. They’re a great addition — especially if you’re serving this as a main rather than a side dish.
I whipped up this salad to serve alongside roasted chicken for dinner on Friday night and then Isaac and I used the leftovers as a salad topping throughout the weekend. We both loved the flavor and agreed that the cucumbers, almonds and feta were a good addition.
Having a big batch of this in the fridge made mealtime almost effortless this weekend. I’m actually tempted to make another batch today for the week!
If you love this quinoa salad, I have a roundup of quinoa salad recipes.Print
A healthy quinoa salad featuring some of the best produce summer has to offer, feta cheese, almonds and a tangy lemon dressing. Perfect as a make-ahead lunch option or a summer cookout side dish.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup avocado oil ( or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup blanched almond slices
- Cook quinoa in water, according to package directions. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, basil and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over quinoa salad and toss to combine. Top with almond slices.
- Serve immediately or let the salad chill in the fridge a couple hours before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 8g
If you end up making this recipe (or any others for that matter) be sure to come back and leave a comment or share a photo of social media and tag me (@eatingbirdfood or #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it. I love seeing and sharing your EBF creations. It literally makes my day! <3