A delicious and healthy quinoa salad with kale, roasted sweet potatoes and caramelized red onions. It’s vegan, gluten-free and perfect for meal prep.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil (divided)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch curly kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated is best but ground will work too)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss sweet potatoes with 1 Tablespoon of oil in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and arrange evenly onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool on the counter for a bit then transfer to the refrigerator to cool more.
- While the potatoes are roasting, bring quinoa and 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Once cooked, allow to cool, then transfer to the refrigerator to cool more.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until the onion has caramelized to a golden brown. This should take about 15 minutes. Stir in the kale, cooking until wilted, bright green and tender. Transfer the kale mixture to a bowl, and cool to room temperature in the refrigerator.
- Once all the ingredients have cooled (at least 30-60 minutes), combine the sweet potatoes, kale and onion mixture, red wine vinegar, fresh thyme and nutmeg in a large bowl. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper. Gently stir to combine and serve.
- All the ingredients need to be cooled to room temperature before mixing the salad together so give yourself plenty of time to allow for the cooling process. I included instructions for cooking the quinoa, but feel free to save time and cook it earlier in a big batch rather than cooking it while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: sweet potato quinoa salad