Looking for a plant-based shredded BBQ option? Look no further than BBQ jackfruit! It looks just like real deal shredded BBQ, it’s loaded with BBQ flavor and it’s so easy to make. Use as a meatless option in your favorite BBQ recipes!
Remember my hearts of palm BBQ sandwiches I made? After posting that so many of you said you have used jackfruit to make bbq as well! I knew I had to dig into it more and give it a try. It’s texture is comparable to shredded meat, even more so than hearts of palm so it works great as a meat alternative.
To say I’m excited about sharing this BBQ jackfruit recipe would be a huge understatement. I have been brainstorming and working on developing this recipe for a couple months now and it’s finally here! If you’re unfamiliar with jackfruit, head over to my “What is Jackfruit” blog post to get the full scoop on this awesome fruit that is making waves in the plant-based food space.
I shared a sneak peek of the BBQ jackfruit on my Instagram stories last week and had so many replies. Sorry I made you all wait a few days… I promise it’s worth the wait.
If you try this bbq jackfruit be sure to leave a comment and star rating letting me know how it turns out! You can also take a photo and tag me on Instagram @eatingbirdfood and #eatingbirdfood! Your feedback is super helpful for me and other EBF readers who are planning to try the recipe.Print
This BBQ jackfruit looks just like real deal shredded BBQ and it’s loaded with BBQ flavor. Use as a meatless option in your favorite BBQ recipes!
- 1 14 oz can green/unripe jackfruit packed in water
- 2 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (store-bought is fine)*
- Drain jackfruit and break apart pieces by hand until shredded.
- Heat a medium/large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- While onions and garlic are cooking, combine BBQ spices (paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt) in a small bowl.
- Add shredded jackfruit and spices into the skillet. Toss well to combine. Turn heat to low and let jackfruit cook for 1-2 minutes with the spices before adding BBQ sauce. Coat jackfruit in the sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until jackfruit is warm throughout. Serve warm.
*For store-bought BBQ sauce I like Annie’s and Simple Girl.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 225
- Sodium: 480mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: BBQ jackfruit, vegan, barbecue, jackfruit