Black Bean and Corn Salad
Published May 18, 2021, Updated Jul 12, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This colorful black bean and corn salad is loaded with veggies and takes only minutes to prepare. It’s the perfect summer side for your next cookout or BBQ.
Whether you’re having a backyard BBQ or heading to a potluck, I wanted to share one of my favorite healthy cookout dishes with you. It’s a black bean and corn salad, also known as black bean succotash, and it’s so easy to toss together.
The next time you find yourself needing a last minute BBQ dish I highly recommend trying this recipe.
Black Bean and Corn Salad = LOVE
Here’s why I love this black bean and corn salad:
- It’s sweet, fresh and delicious.
- It’s quick and easy.
- You only need 9 ingredients (and that’s counting salt and pepper).
- It’s colorful.
- It pairs well with everything from burgers to grilled chicken and seafood. <– It’s amazing as a topping for grilled salmon.
- Did I mention it’s quick and easy?
Black Bean and Corn Salad Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make this simple salad:
- sweet frozen corn kernels – I like using frozen corn kernels for ease, but you can absolutely use fresh sweet corn as well!
- black beans – I used canned black beans, but you can totally cook them from dry beans if you’d like.
- bell pepper – red bell pepper adds the perfect pop of color, but any color works if you’re in a pinch!
- red onion – you can use yellow onion for a more mild onion flavor if you prefer, but I like the color (and flavor) that red onion adds to the salad.
- red wine vinegar – a tangy base to the dressing that pairs really well with the vegetables and olive oil.
- fresh parsley – I love the flavor that fresh herbs add to the salad. Fresh cilantro would also be delicious!
- olive oil – oil helps to balance the vinegar and adds healthy fats to the salad.
- sea salt and pepper – to season and bring all of the flavors together!
The fun thing about this salad is how many variations there are! Here are some ways to switch it up:
- Jalapeño – add in some spice with jalapeño. Just de-seed, dice and add as much as you’d like to the salad.
- Grilled corn – if you’re using fresh sweet corn you can grill it for extra flavor. Cut it from the cob and make the salad as the recipe recommends. This will take the salad to a whole other level.
- Grilled peppers – same with the peppers! Lightly char them for extra flavor.
- Cilantro – like I mentioned above, this salad would be delicious with cilantro as well!
- Beans – you can swap the black beans for a different type of bean if you’d like. Chickpeas would be delish!
- Avocado – add some healthy fats and a delicious creaminess to the salad with chopped avocado.
How to Serve Black Bean and Corn Salad
This salad is super versatile! Here’s what I like to serve it with:
- Chicken – this is the perfect side for my grilled curry chicken or this apple cider vinegar chicken.
- Burgers – this salad is delicious with any burger but I especially love it with this cilantro lime chicken burger.
- Salmon – I’m obsessed with this black bean and corn salad served over balsamic salmon.
- With chips – yep, you read that right. This salad is delicious eaten with tortilla chips like a corn salsa!
How to Store Leftovers
This salad stores super well… and honestly gets better with time as the flavors marinate together. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
More Summer Salads to Try:
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Classic Broccoli Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mango Jicama Slaw
- Clean Eating Healthy Pasta Salad
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Asparagus Salad with Lemon and Feta
- Avocado Corn Salad
If you make this black bean and corn salad please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how the recipe turned out. Your feedback is super helpful for the EBF team and other readers!
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 bag 16 oz sweet frozen corn kernels, defrosted*
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Toss together veggies and beans: Combine corn, black beans, bell pepper and red onion in a large bowl.
- Add dressing: Stir in the parsley, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Serve: Serve right away or chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Store leftovers in a covered dish the fridge.
- To defrost frozen corn: Run under cold water to quickly thaw and drain well.
- Fresh corn can be used here as well. You'll probably need 4-5 ears of corn to get 4 cups!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Beautiful and delicious. I marinated the onions in the vinegar and salt for few minutes to reduce the bite.
WOO! Sounds delicious, glad you are loving this salad, Sharon. Thank you for sharing your review + star rating, I really appreciate it!
See More Comments