The perfect salad for fall, these roasted harvest bowls are loaded with maple turmeric chicken, crisp apple slices, Brussels sprouts and butternut squash.
After skipping out on Salad Sunday a couple weeks in a row, I’m back in action with this little gem. And you’re in for a treat because these roasted harvest bowls are not only loaded with veggies and lean protein, they’re so easy to whip up!
If you’re looking for a warm, comforting salad for fall and winter, this is perfect because all the ingredients (except the apple slices) are roasted and are added to the salad while still warm. Of course, you can also use this recipe for meal prep and serve the roasted components cold or at room temp. I’ve done both and the bowls taste delicious either way.
The fun part about this recipe is that it pairs together a couple different recipes from EBF (the maple turmeric chicken and the apple cider vinegar roasted Brussels sprouts). I love it when this happens because it brings some of my older recipes back to life and gives you all ideas of how to best use some of the recipes I’ve already posted.
All the flavors in this roasted harvest bowl are amazing (roasted veggies are literally the best!), but the apple cider dressing totally steals the show! It’s slightly sweet, full of cinnamon apple flavor and perfect for dressing a fall/winter bowl like this one.
The apple cider adds a touch of sweetness that pairs nicely with the savory ingredients in this bowl, but you’re not keen on using apple cider because of the sugar content, you can always use my basic apple cider vinegar dressing for these roasted harvest bowls instead.
Roasted Harvest Bowls with Apple Cider Dressing
- 2 maple turmeric chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar Brussels sprouts
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 crisp apple, thinly sliced
- baby spinach
- roasted butternut squash seeds or toasted pepitas*
- cinnamon and cayenne pepper (optional)
Apple Cider Dressing
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of whole grain mustard
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add chopped butternut squash chunks to a baking sheet with oil, sea salt and pepper. Feel free to add a sprinkle of cinnamon and cayenne as well. Toss to coat and pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- While butternut squash is roasting, make dressing by adding all ingredients into a blender and blending until smooth.
- To make the salad bowls, add a base of baby spinach to two bowls. Top with 1 piece of maple turmeric chicken, 1/2 cup roasted Brussels sprouts, 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash and apple slices. Drizzle on the apple cider dressing and top with roasted seeds.
*For roasted butternut squash seeds: preheat oven to 325°. Remove any remaining strings from the seeds and toss with a 1/2 teaspoon oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until crunchy and golden.
If you make these roasted harvest bowls or the apple cider dressing let me know how they turn out in the comment section or share a photo on social media. Just be sure to tag me (@eatingbirdfood + #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it!