Perfectly sweet and savory, this maple turmeric chicken is a delicious way to give your body an extra anti-inflammatory boost. Great for meal prep!
Lately I’ve been all about meal prepping and have figured out a batch cooking system that works amazingly well for our needs. Typically I plan 1-2 days a week, one over the weekend and one mid-week, to cook up a few staples that we can use to toss together meals throughout the week. This includes lots of veggies, whole grains and a few protein options.
Chicken seems to be one of our go-to protein options because it’s lean and easy to cook up. Over the summer we make grilled chicken almost weekly (this apple cider vinegar chicken recipe is one of our favs).
But now that fall is here and the weather is getting chilly it makes sense to move our cooking indoors and bust out the good ol’ cast iron skillet. That’s where this recipe comes into play.
Seared chicken cooked in a cast iron skillet is pretty similar to grilled chicken because you still get that crisp exterior, which let’s be real, is the best part.
That said, the exciting thing about this recipe isn’t just the seared factor. It’s the delicious maple turmeric sauce that is used to glaze the chicken while it finishes cooking in the oven. This combo is sweet and savory, with a bonus of anti-inflammatory benefits from the turmeric powder.
It’s such a mouth-watering combo… and it takes less than 20 minutes to cook up. We can’t get enough of it.
Since coming up with the recipe we’ve already made this chicken as part of our weekly meal prep a handful of times and I don’t see an end in sight. It’s such a great protein option for quick salads and bowl meals. Speaking of, be on the lookout for a new salad recipe using this maple turmeric chicken. I’ll be sharing it for Salad Sunday this week!Print
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
- 1/2 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet and turn heat on medium/medium-high heat.
- Pat chicken dry and season with sea salt and black pepper. At this point your oil should be hot and the chicken should sizzle when added to the skillet.
- Add all three pieces of chicken to the skillet and sear for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- While chicken is searing combine maple syrup, tamari, garlic, turmeric and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Once both sides of the chicken are seared, carefully pour maple turmeric sauce over chicken and toss to coat.
- Move skillet from the stovetop into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked throughout. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 34g
If you make this maple turmeric chicken let me know how it turns out in the comment section or share a photo on social media. Just be sure to tag me (@eatingbirdfood + #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it!