These Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers are full of flavor, easy to make and hold together really well. They’re also vegan and gluten-free!
These burgers are a tasty spin on traditional black bean burgers. They’re made with boiled sweet potatoes, oatmeal and flax so they’re completely gluten-free and vegan, loaded with flavor and hold together well!
I made these for my dad on father’s day and we both LOVED them. The consistency is perfect and I really like the flavor that the fresh basil and cooked sweet potato added.Print
A tasty spin on regular black bean burgers. This version is made with sweet potatoes, oats and flax so they’re gluten-free and vegan. They’re loaded with flavor and hold together well!
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces and boiled for 7–8 minutes until soft
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons ground flax mixed with 3 Tablespoons water (or 1 egg)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- sriracha sauce, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- whole grain burger buns
- Heat a skillet with non-stick spray. Once warm add the onion and garlic in to the skillet and cook until they are limp and start to brown a bit. Put the cooked onion mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the basil and pulse several times. Add the beans, sweet potato chunks and oats to the processor and pulse five or six times. Don’t over process, as you want your bean burgers to be a little chunky. The beans should be broken up but there should still be some small chunks.
- Transfer the veggie and bean mixture into large bowl and stir in the flax egg, chili powder, cumin, sriracha and salt. Form into five patties. (If the mixture is too wet to work with at this point add extra oats).
- In the same skillet, heat on medium, spray non-stick spray and add the patties, cook each side until browned, about 6-7 minutes total OR you can bake them on 375° for about 25 minutes, flipping once.
- Put the burgers on a bun and serve with condiments of your choice. I used spicy mustard, onions, lettuce, and ketchup.