Roasted sweet potato croutons are crunchy, sweet and easy to make. They’re the perfect healthy topping for salads and soup!
As a self-proclaimed salad expert, I have a laundry list of salad toppings that I use on the regular. Avocado, chopped apples and roasted nuts are up at the top, but I think my absolute favorite topping is sweet potato. I used to be all about having baked sweet potatoes on salad and I’ve made a sweet potato tuna salad, but today I want to share a new method I’ve been using to make crunchy little sweet potato croutons.
So these sweet potato croutons aren’t anything too complicated or special. They’re literally just sweet potato chunks that are chopped small so that they cook quickly and get a little crunchy.
The roasting time can take anywhere from 15-25 minutes, depending on how large your chunks are, how many sweet potatoes you have on the baking sheet, how much moisture is in the sweet potato itself and how crunchy you want the sweet potatoes to get.
I’m all about the crunch factor and I don’t mind having a few brunt pieces so I roast mine a little longer.
The recipe for these little guys is really easy, but I do have a few pointers for ya:
- Keep the sweet potato chunks small and uniform in size, about 1/4 inch.
- Make sure to space the sweet potato chunks out on the baking sheet. If they’re too crowded they will steam and never get crunchy.
- I tested multiple batches and the parchment lined baking sheet yielded the crispiest croutons. You can use a baking stone as well, but the sweet potatoes didn’t get AS crunchy with this method.
Once the sweet potatoes are roasted you can add them to just about anything your little heart desires. Salad, soup, an omelette, savory oats… seriously, sweet potatoes go with everything. They are especially good on salads though!
Oh and I should also mention that they are crazy addictive. If you start munching on a few while prepping your salad you may find that you don’t have any left when it’s time to eat. Just a warning. 😉
Crunchy Sweet Potato Croutons
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes, about 1/4 inch
- 2 teaspoons avocado or coconut oil
- sea salt, to taste*
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Coat sweet potato chunks in oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Spread over a parchment lined baking sheet or baking stone and roast for 20 minutes, or until sweet potato chunks are brown on the edges and have a little crunch on the outside. Stir/toss potato chunks once mid-way through baking.
- Serve immediately. These are meant to be made and eaten right away. You can make them in advance, but they will not stay crunchy.
I’d love to see how you use your sweet potato croutons on social media. If you try the recipes, be sure to take a photo and tag me (@eatingbirdfood or #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it!