Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
Published Aug 26, 2019, Updated Sep 21, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These baked zucchini fries are breaded with almond flour and parmesan to create a crispy and delicious side dish! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Hi, my name is Brittany and I love fries. There, I said it. I know I’m not alone here!
I grew up eating all the fries and nowadays I’ll sneak a few from Isaac’s plate or split a side order with a friend, but I know they’re not the healthiest thing so I’m all about making baked veggie fries at home. I’ve turned so many veggies into healthy fries and I’m excited because I recently created a recipe for zucchini fries that I love.
Whether you’re interested in prepping vegetables in a new way or you are trying to get your kids to eat something other than mac and cheese and pizza… this recipe for zucchini fries is going to be your new BFF!
So I know what you’re probably thinking… zucchini is watery, how in the world are you going to get it to crisp up and taste anything like a fry? Well, that’s the beauty of this recipe. In order to make sure these fries actually crisp up we’re dipping the zucchini in an egg white wash and dredging them in an almond flour and parmesan cheese mixture. This “breading” is what takes this recipe from roasted zucchini (which is also delicious, btw) to crispy, tasty zucchini fries!
Ingredients in Zucchini Fries
- zucchini – if you know anyone with a garden, there’s a good chance they’re drowning in zucchini and will give you a couple!
- egg or egg whites
- almond flour or almond meal – we’re keeping things gluten-free (and grain-free) so instead of breadcrumbs I like to use almond flour or almond meal
- parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- sea salt
Feel free to experiment with the flavors in the breading mixture. Lactose intolerant? You can totally skip the cheese or swap it for nutritional yeast. The fries might not turn out as crunchy, but they will still have that cheesy, nutty flavor! You can also try different spices like garlic or onion powder. This recipe is completely customizable based on your preference.
How to Make Baked Zucchini Fries
Start by coating a baking sheet with cooking spray or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice your zucchini by cutting in half lengthwise and then slice each piece into two pieces widthwise. Slice each piece into fries, keeping them all around the same size.
Whisk your eggs in a shallow bowl and prep your bread crumb mixture. In a small bowl, mix together the almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt. Take the zucchini strips and dip each one into the egg wash and then dredge into the “breading” mixture, making sure you coat the zucchini entirely.
Place the breaded zucchini directly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425º for 10 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes. The zucchini fries should be crisp and golden brown.
Serve the baked zucchini immediately with your choice of dipping sauce. I’m a big fan of marinara or aioli for these zucchini fries.
Love Veggie-Based Fries? Try These Recipes Too:
If you make these baked zucchini fries, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how they turn out. Your feedback is so helpful for the EBF team and other EBF readers.
Baked Zucchini Fries
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix together almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and then slice each half into two 2 pieces widthwise. Slice each zucchini piece into 4-6 fries, trying to keep them all around the same size.
- Dip a zucchini piece into the egg wash and shake any excess off before dredging into the almond flour parmesan mixture. Place coated zucchini fry onto prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining zucchini pieces.
- Place zucchini in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and return to the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until zucchini fries are crisp and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately. They’re delicious on their own, but feel free to pair with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.