Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
Published Jan 12, 2023, Updated May 31, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Skip the store-bought instant packets and make this strawberries and cream oatmeal instead. It combines fresh strawberries and oat milk for a creamy bowl of oats that comes together in 10 minutes.
Growing up we always had instant oatmeal packets in our house. I’ve already made healthier recreations of the maple brown sugar oatmeal, peaches and cream oatmeal and today I’m sharing the strawberries and cream oatmeal recipe.
It’s made with upgraded ingredients like rolled oats, fresh strawberries, coconut sugar and oat milk. No dried cream, natural flavors, vegetable juice concentrate or other preservatives over here!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It tastes just like the strawberries and cream instant oatmeal packets, but is dairy-free and made with upgraded ingredients!
- The combo of whole grain oats, fresh strawberries, creamy oat milk and a touch of coconut sugar is chef’s kiss!
- Comes together in just 10 minutes!
- Totally customizable! Feel free to make this recipe your own.
- fashioned rolled oats – rolled oats make for such a creamy bowl of oatmeal. I love Bob’s Red Mill old-fashioned rolled oats. If you have steel cut oats that you want to use follow my recipe for creamy steel cut oats instead.
- water – we’re cooking the oats in water and then mixing in milk later on. You can do half water, half milk if you’d like the oats to be extra creamy.
- fresh strawberries – look for bright red, shiny strawberries with a smooth surface and a green stem. Avoid strawberries that are dull in color or have brown or mushy spots.
- vanilla extract – a flavor enhancer.
- salt – to bring all the flavors together.
- cinnamon – the perfect spice pairing to the rest of the ingredients.
- coconut sugar – I love using coconut sugar because it’s a natural sugar with a bit more nutrition, but regular cane sugar or brown sugar works as well. You could also drizzle on maple syrup, honey or agave instead. To reduce the sugar content I recommend using liquid stevia or sugar free maple monk fruit syrup.
- oat milk – any type of milk works, but I liked how rich and creamy oat milk makes this! Coconut milk, cashew milk or almond milk would be my next choices for a non-dairy milk option.
How to Make
Add oats, salt, water, strawberries, vanilla and cinnamon to a pot or saucepan over medium/high heat.
Bring mixture to a low boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes; stirring occasionally.
Oatmeal is ready when the oats have soaked up most of the liquid and are creamy. Transfer to a bowl and top with coconut sugar, more chopped strawberries and oat milk.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes! If you only have frozen strawberries on hand those will work for this recipe. Just thaw them before making the recipe so you can chop them up and drain off the extra liquid they’ll release as they thaw.
How to Add Protein
One of my favorite oatmeal hacks is adding protein! Protein helps make oatmeal more filling and satisfying. If you’re usually hungry a couple of hours after you eat oatmeal, try adding protein! Here are some ways to do that:
- Protein powder: add in a scoop of vanilla protein powder to the oatmeal right before eating – after removing from the heat.
- Cottage cheese: after cooking, while the oatmeal is still warm, stir in the cottage cheese. This will make your oatmeal super creamy!
- Greek yogurt: stir in a scoop of plain or vanilla Greek yogurt after cooking.
- Nuts/seeds: sprinkle on some chia seeds and/or flaxseeds or nuts/nut butter for added protein, flavor and texture.
You can also check out my full post on protein oatmeal for other ways to add protein to your oats.
I love the combo of fresh strawberries, oat milk and coconut sugar as toppings, but feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own. Here are some other topping ideas:
- Granola: Sprinkle on some granola for a crunchy texture and added sweetness. This hemp granola or chocolate granola would be delicious! The combo of chocolate + strawberries = pure perfection!
- Shredded coconut: A sprinkle of shredded coconut for some healthy fat!
- Chopped nuts: Add some chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts or almonds for some crunch!
- Fresh mint: A sprinkle of fresh mint adds a refreshing and bright flavor to the oats.
- Jam: Spread on a spoonful of your favorite jam for a burst of fruity flavor. This strawberry chia jam would be delish!
- Nut butter: Add a spoonful of peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter for some added protein and healthy fats. For a nut-free option try tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Fresh fruit: In addition to the fresh strawberries add some sliced bananas, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries to your bowl of oats.
How to Microwave
I prefer to cook my oatmeal on the stovetop, but you can also microwave this strawberries and cream oatmeal!
Just add ½ cup rolled oats with 1 cup water, the chopped strawberries, cinnamon and vanilla into a microwave-safe bowl with plenty of room for the oats to bubble up. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and then microwave at 30 seconds increments, stirring between each one.
Cook until the oatmeal is the consistency you like – I typically cook mine for about 3 minutes but you’ll know it’s ready when most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are hot. Add toppings and enjoy!
More Oatmeal Recipes
- How to Make Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
- Protein Oatmeal
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Cauliflower Oatmeal
- Salted Caramel Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
- Peaches and Cream Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- Blueberry Oatmeal
- Bircher Muesli (Chilled Swiss Oatmeal)
- Tropical Oatmeal
More Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Easy Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Quinoa Parfait
- Strawberry Salad
Be sure to check out all of the strawberry recipes as well as the full collection of oatmeal recipes on EBF!
Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped, plus more for topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar, for serving
- ⅛ cup oat milk, for serving
- Add oats, salt, water, strawberries, vanilla and cinnamon to a pot or saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Bring mixture to a low boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes; stirring occasionally. Oatmeal is ready when the oats have soaked up most of the liquid and are creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with coconut sugar, more chopped strawberries and oat or coconut milk.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
OMG It never crossed my mind to add some strawberries while cooking my oatmeal. This is so good! I did replace a fourth of the water with 2% milk as I usually do. I didn’t have oat milk. Added a splash on top with more cut strawberries and a sprinkling of brown sugar. AMAZINGLY GOOD! So glad I saw this post before fixing breakfast this morning. Thx for posting
Ahh this is great, Betty! I am so glad that you are loving this recipe. Thank you for coming back and sharing your review & star rating, it means so much to me!