Add veggies and volume to your morning bowl of oats with this zucchini bread oatmeal recipe. Added bonus: your whole kitchen will smell like a freshly baked loaf of zucchini bread. Vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
If you’re like me, you’re in seventh heaven right now with the amount of fresh produce that’s available at your local market. Literally we went to the farmers market on Saturday and I was like a kid in a candy shop. Every table was completely full of plump, ripe veggies ready to be enjoyed. I wanted to buy all the things, but ended up with three big bags loaded down with big, juicy tomatoes (they’re so perfect right now), ripe peaches, micro greens, cucumbers, summer squash and zucchini.
While I love all of these summer delights, zucchini is the summer veggie that gets the most action in our house. Roasted zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini noodles, shredded zucchini in baked goods and steamed zucchini in smoothies. Name a recipe with zucchini and we’ve probably tried it.
That said, zucchini for breakfast is becoming quite popular — especially for those of us who like loading up on green veggies. It’s a great source of antioxidants, potassium and vitamin C (one zucchini has over 50% of your daily vitamin C needs!). Zucchini is also 95% water so it’s super hydrating while being low in calories, carbs and sugar. One medium zucchini has about 33 cals, 5 grams of carbs and 3 grams of sugar.
Steamed zucchini is a great option for amping up the nutrition of smoothies, but I also love adding shredded zucchini to oats and eggs. The eggy zucchini recipe is coming soon, but for now I have a delicious zucchini bread oatmeal to share with you.
It’s so creamy, hearty and definitely has that stick-to-your ribs quality so you’ll feel fueled and energized all morning long. The best part is that while the oats are cooking the aroma is so amazing and smells like a fresh loaf of zucchini bread is baking in your oven. WARNING: This can be confusing to family members who love zucchini bread so be sure to let them know that you’re not baking zucchini bread, because they might very well be disappointed. If somehow you forget to warn them and disappointment sets in simply make this vegan almond flour zucchini bread or these flourless zucchini bread muffins. They’ll forgive you! 🙂
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or water)
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter or another type of nut butter
- Add oats, banana, zucchini, cinnamon and sea salt to a medium pot. Add almond milk/water and stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Be sure to stir the oats several times while cooking to make sure the banana slices melt into the oats and oats don't stick to the pot. You’ll know the oatmeal is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and fluffy.
- Portion oats into a bowl, top with chopped walnuts and almond butter and enjoy!