Delicious and easy vegan almond flour zucchini bread made without oil or refined sugar!
I know it’s September, but there’s still plenty of zucchini at our local farmers market and I’m hoarding it like crazy because I want to make all the zucchini bread and all the zucchini noodle pasta before fall officially hits. Summer has gone by way too fast. Don’t get me wrong I adore fall, but once fall hits winter is right behind it and I just hate being cold!
If you’re like me and enjoying every tiny ounce of summer (just like you would a tube of your fav beauty product) than this almond flour zucchini bread recipe is for you. And if you’re groaning at the heat and wish summer was over already, that’s cool. I’ve got a delicious gluten-free pumpkin bread recipe for you to make instead. 😉
Anyhow, let’s discuss this loaf of seriously delicious zucchini bread because it’s pretty amazing with its golden brown edges. It has the perfect texture, which can be a challenge with almond flour. And did I mention it’s oil-fee? Yup, I used 1/2 an avocado and 1 banana in place of the oil which makes for a loaf that’s not too moist and not too dry. Avocados as a sub for oil and butter in baked goods is such a cool thing! Check out this little guide for more info.
The bread’s sweetness comes from the banana and a little bit of maple syrup, which is one of my favorite natural sweeteners. Of course there are also some chocolate chips in the mix, which sweeten up the bread too! You can leave these out if you’re looking for less sugar.
I tested the recipe a few times so I’ve had several taste-testers and everyone has loved this bread, even little ones. I brought a loaf with us on our trip to Charlotte, NC to visit Julie and her little man gobbled it right up!
As you’ll see in the recipe, I used a combo of almond and oat flour so the loaf is totally gluten-free. If you want to keep it paleo (or 100% grain-free), you can omit the oat flour and use 2 ¼ cup almond flour. I thought the loaf I made with 100% almond flour was good, but I liked the texture of the loaf with a little oat flour a bit more so that’s why it’s in the recipe. You do you with the flour — it will be delicious either way!
Serve this delicious almond flour zucchini bread for breakfast or as a snack!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or 1/4 cup more almond flour)
- 1 cup grated zucchini (squeezed firmly to release water)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup avocado (about 1/2 an avocado)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with oil.
- Whisk together ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl to make the flax egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add dry ingredients (almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt) and stir to combine. Combine wet ingredients (zucchini, flax egg, avocado, banana, maple syrup, vanilla) in another bowl. Once mixed, add wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Edges and top of the loaf will be a dark, golden color. Let cool, slice and enjoy.
- Store any leftovers covered in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 215 |
- Sugar: 11g |
- Fat: 14g |
- Carbohydrates: 19g |
- Fiber: 4g |
- Protein: 6g
Enjoy your weekend and these last few weeks of summer!