Key Lime Pie Smoothie
Published Jun 12, 2023, Updated Jun 19, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This key lime pie smoothie is creamy, tangy and tastes like a slice of key lime pie, but is made with healthy ingredients and packed with protein. Easy to make, vegan + dairy-free!
If you’re a key lime pie fan you’re going to love this key lime pie smoothie! It tastes like liquid dessert that’s healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast.
This smoothie is protein-packed and sneaks in nutrients in the form of frozen avocado and spinach (which you can’t even taste!). The frozen avocado helps to thicken this smoothie and adds creaminess while the spinach is what gives it its bright green color.
It’s seriously so delicious, you’re going to want to make this smoothie all summer long!
Why You’ll Love This Smoothie
- Tastes like dessert in smoothie form!
- Packed with nutrients and over 20 grams of protein.
- Perfect for breakfast or a post-workout snack.
- Vegan + dairy-free.
- Super quick & easy to make.
- coconut milk – the liquid base for this smoothie. It adds a nice creaminess and tropical flavor. I used full-fat canned coconut milk, but you can also use light coconut milk.
- frozen banana – this contributes to this smoothie being super thick and creamy. It also adds some natural sweetness. Check out my guide on how to freeze bananas for smoothies.
- frozen avocado – adds more creaminess and thickness. Plus, avocados are packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. I used pre-frozen avocado chunks, but you can also take a fresh avocado and freeze it yourself or just use a fresh avocado. If you use fresh avocado you might want to add a handful of ice to this smoothie.
- vanilla protein powder – the main source of protein and what gives this smoothie its dessert-like flavor. I personally love Nuzest protein powder. It’s plant-based, has minimal ingredients and tastes delicious. (Use code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order). That said, feel free to use your favorite brand of protein powder.
- lime juice and lime zest – can’t have a key lime smoothie without the lime! You can use a key lime or regular lime.
- medjool date – adds some natural sweetness and helps to balance out the tartness of the lime.
- spinach – adds a boost of nutrition and what gives this smoothie its deep green color. And trust me, you won’t even be able to taste the spinach!
- toppings – these are all optional, but if you really want to take this smoothie to the next level I suggest topping it with coconut whip (or coconut cream), graham cracker crumbs, toasted coconut and fresh lime slices.
How to Make
This key lime pie smoothie recipe is so easy to whip up! Just place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the smoothie into a glass, add toppings of choice and enjoy!
Customize Your Smoothie
- Swap the milk: You can substitute the coconut milk with almond milk or another plant-based milk.
- Not a fan of protein powder? If you’re not a fan of protein powder or don’t have any on hand, try using Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or collagen powder for a protein boost.
- Sweetener: Feel free to skip the medool date if you want to reduce the sugar content of this smoothie. And if you don’t have medjool dates, you can use another natural sweetener like honey, maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Add a nutrition boost: Feel free to add a scoop of chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds or chopped nuts for a nutritional boost.
Smoothie Storage Tips
- Store the smoothie in a glass container with an airtight lid (I like to use wide mouth mason jars, but a thermos would probably work really well too). Seal the container and place in the fridge as soon as possible.
- Try to fill the container to the top to avoid extra air which will cause the smoothie to oxidize.
- Take the smoothie out of the fridge when you’re ready to drink it. Give it a good shake and enjoy.
- Plan to drink the smoothie within 24 hours — it probably won’t keep much longer than that.
More Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Avocado Smoothie
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
- Tropical Green Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Green Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Protein Smoothie
- 3-Ingredient Mango Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Butterfinger Smoothie
- Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- Raspberry Smoothie
- Tahini Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- ½ cup canned coconut milk, light or full fat
- ½ cup water or more coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ cup frozen avocado
- 1 scoop (25 grams) vanilla protein powder, or Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime or key lime juice
- ½ Tablespoon lime or key lime zest
- 1 medjool date
- Handful of spinach
- Splash of vanilla extract, optional
- Optional toppings: coconut whip, crushed graham crackers, toasted coconut, lime slices
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass, add toppings of choice and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.