Dessert Baked Sweet Potato
Published Sep 13, 2021, Updated Oct 31, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Turn nutrient-rich sweet potatoes into a satisfyingly sweet dessert! Just bake and stuff with your favorite toppings. Vegan and gluten-free!
Sweet potatoes are one of my absolute favorite vegetables and over the years I’ve found so many different ways to enjoy them — from sweet potato fries to sweet potato toast, sweet potato croutons and sweet potato brownies, there’s really nothing this veggie can’t do.
Baked sweet potatoes topped with a little coconut oil, butter or ghee are already reminiscent of dessert, but I took things to another level with just a few additional toppings. I bet you won’t even realize that this is actually a nutrient-packed dessert!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
On the nutrition front, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, manganese and potassium. And when it comes to satisfying a sweet tooth craving in a healthy, whole-foods fashion, sweet potatoes are the perfect solution, especially when baked until the potato is oozing caramel-y goodness. This is when you know the sweet potato is going to be extra sweet!
Here’s What You Need
- sweet potato – we’ll be using baked sweet potatoes as the base of this recipe.
- coconut butter – make homemade coconut butter or pick some up from the store. Once you have this on hand, you’ll want to drizzle it on everything! You can also use it to make these coconut protein balls or coconut butter cups.
- almond butter – I love almond butter in this recipe but any nut or seed butter works.
- coconut flakes – look for unsweetened coconut flakes. I recommend using toasted coconut so either buy pre-toasted or make your own toasted coconut flakes! Watch closely so they don’t burn!
- pecans – again, I recommend using toasted pecans! Either buy toasted pecans or toast your own by spreading the nuts on baking sheet and roasting at 350ºF for 5-10 minutes. Feel free to swap the pecans out with your favorite nut of choice.
- dark chocolate – I love Lily’s dark chocolate bars. They’re gluten-free, vegan and instead of sugar, they’re sweetened with stevia and erythritol. That said, feel free to use your favorite chocolate brand!
- cinnamon – the perfect spice pairing!
How to Make Dessert Baked Sweet Potato
This dessert sweet potato couldn’t get any easier to make and only requires a few simple steps:
Prep your potato – Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork – I usually do 4-8 holes depending on how big the potato is.
Bake – Place the sweet potato on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes at 450°F, or until sweet potato is completely tender and oozing a little bit. Sweet potato is ready when the flesh is soft. You can test it with a knife!
Serve – Make a slit into the top of the sweet potato. Mash down each side and add toppings: coconut butter, almond butter, coconut flakes, pecans, dark chocolate and a cinnamon sprinkle. Enjoy warm!
tip! For quicker assembly, bake your sweet potato ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you're ready to serve. To reheat, warm your sweet potato in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or in the oven at 425°F for 10-12 minutes or until heated throughout.
- PB banana – drizzle on peanut butter and add banana slices.
- Honey cinnamon – spread ghee or coconut oil on the sweet potato and drizzle with honey & cinnamon.
- Coconut pecan – sprinkle on cinnamon, toasted coconut flakes, toasted chopped pecans & a drizzle of coconut butter.
- Yogurt + granola – add a dollop of Greek yogurt, a drizzle of almond or peanut butter & granola (I recommend my grain-free granola or regular granola).
- Sweet potato pie – sprinkle with cinnamon, toasted pecans, ghee or coconut oil & brown sugar.
- S’mores – top with marshmallows, graham crackers crumbles & dark chocolate chips.
Popular Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Brownie Bites
- Sweet Potato Cookies
- Blueberry Sweet Potato Cookies
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
Dessert Baked Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork. Place the sweet potato on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until sweet potato is completely tender and oozing a little bit.
- Make a slit in the top of the sweet potato. Mash down each side and add toppings: coconut butter, almond butter, coconut flakes, pecans, dark chocolate and cinnamon. Enjoy warm.
- Almond butter: I love almond butter in this recipe but any nut or seed butter works.
- Pecans: Feel free to swap the pecans out with your favorite nut of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.