How to Toast Coconut
Published Nov 26, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Here’s how to toast coconut! It’s incredibly easy, takes less than 10 minutes and the end result is crunchy and aromatic toasted coconut that you can enjoy as is or used in a variety of recipes.
Want to take your coconut to the next level? Toast it! This simple process will instantly level up your coconut for just about any recipe!
Why Toast Coconut
Similar to why you toast nuts, toasting coconut adds a robust, nutty flavor to plain coconut and can add great texture and flavor to a variety of recipes. It’s super simple to do and the end result is 100% worth the extra step!
Should I Use Sweetened or Unsweetened Coconut?
Either works! I typically reach for unsweetened coconut because I like to control the amount of sugar a particular recipe has but you can toast either. It’s important to note that sweetened coconut toasts way faster than unsweetened because of the added sugar so keep an eye on it!
You can also use shredded coconut or coconut flakes. I mention this below but finely shredded coconut will toast much faster than coconut flakes!
How to Toast Coconut
In the oven: Spread the coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet. You can line the sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat if you’d like easy clean up! Bake the coconut at 325ºF for 5-10 minutes. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn and toss 1-2 times during cooking to make sure the batch browns evenly. The coconut is ready when it is lightly golden and fragrant.
On the stovetop: Add coconut to a dry skillet over medium heat – you don’t need any oil! Make sure you use a large skillet so the coconut is in a single layer. Let the coconut toast, stirring frequently until coconut is lightly golden and fragrant.
In the microwave: I don’t usually use this method but it’s a quick, easy option if you need it! Spread the coconut in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave in 30 second increments. Stir after each increment and repeat until the coconut is golden brown and fragrant.
- First and foremost, keep an eye on your coconut while it’s toasting! Coconut burns super easily, you really can’t walk away to do something real quick!
- The toasting time will vary based on the size of your shredded coconut – some brands are smaller/finer than others. The finer pieces will take less time than the larger pieces!
- If you use sweetened shredded coconut it will toast way faster than unsweetened shredded coconut!
How to Use Toasted Coconut
- It’s the perfect topping on my yogurt breakfast bowl, coconut mango chia pudding, quinoa fruit salad or dessert baked sweet potato.
- Delicious when mixed into my toasted coconut chia bars.
- Toast the coconut before adding to these cranberry coconut granola bars or samoa energy balls.
- As a topping for oatmeal or overnight oats. It’s delicious on this tropical oatmeal.
- Mix into or use as a topping for cakes, cookies or cupcakes.
- As a topping for ice cream. It would be delicious on my one-ingredient banana ice cream, chocolate banana ice cream or oatmeal raisin ice cream!
How to Store Toasted Coconut
If you don’t use all of the toasted coconut right away, store it in an airtight container. It will last up to 1 week at room temperature but up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
More Simple Tutorials to Try
- How to Make Oatmeal
- How to Cook Quinoa
- How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs
- How to Make Almond Milk
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- How to Roast Butternut Squash
- How to Make Healthy Trail Mix
How to Toast Coconut
- 1 cup shredded coconut
In the Oven
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet. You can line the sheet with parchment if you'd like. Bake until coconut is lightly golden and fragrant. This should take about 5-10 minutes. You'll want to watch it closely so it doesn't burn and toss the coconut 1-2 times while baking to ensure it browns evenly. Remove from oven and let cool.
On the Stove Top
- Add coconut to a dry skillet (no need for oil) over medium heat. Make sure you use a large enough skillet so the coconut is in a single layer. Let toast, stirring frequently until coconut is lightly golden and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Microwave method: Spread the coconut in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave in 30 second increments. Stir after each increment and repeat until the coconut is golden brown and fragrant.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.