Published Jul 20, 2021, Updated May 10, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This simple basil vinaigrette comes together in a flash and is loaded with fresh basil flavor. It’s the perfect summer salad dressing and/or marinade.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the dressing can make or break a salad. This basil vinaigrette makes the salad… every time! It has so much basil flavor and aroma. I’m in love.
I’m such a fan of oil-based vinaigrettes because they are made with minimal ingredients and super easy to make. You essentially start with a base ratio of oil and vinegar and then just add different flavorings to customize your vinaigrette. This basil vinaigrette uses fresh basil and is perfect for summer!
Health Benefits of Basil
Besides adding a delicious flavor to any and everything, basil is a great source of vitamins and minerals… most notably vitamin K. It also has plant compounds that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Some studies have connected basil with stress reduction and blood sugar control. (Source)
Here’s What You Need
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this easy dressing:
- basil – the star of the show! Fresh basil is what you need for this dressing. I don’t recommend making it with dried basil
- olive oil – I recommend using a higher quality extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings like this. Save your regular olive oil for cooking.
- red wine vinegar – Again, look for a high-quality red wine vinegar (aka not the cheapest one on the shelf) for salad dressings because there’s minimal ingredients and the flavor really shines through.
- shallot – add in a little bit of this zesty ingredient for added savory flavor.
- sea salt and pepper – these two season the dressing and bring out the flavor(s) from all the other ingredients.
What to Use Basil Vinaigrette On
This dressing is so versatile! I originally created it to go on a farro salad, but this basil dressing pairs perfectly with, but it would work well on just about any salad. Here are some ideas:
- Green salad – this dressing works on just about any green salad! It is delicious on this blackened chicken Cobb salad, vegan Cobb salad or this cucumber tomato salad. It would also be amazing drizzled on caprese salad.
- Grain salad – I mentioned this is delicious on the farro salad, but it would also work on my easy quinoa salad or this barley salad.
- Pasta salad – An herby dressing on pasta salad? Sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it on my healthy pasta salad!
- Roasted vegetables – If you have never put a vinaigrette on your veggies, you’re missing out. Drizzle it over roasted summer squash for the ultimate summer side.
- Protein marinade – marinate meat, tempeh or tofu in this vinaigrette for a flavor-packed meal!
How to Store Leftovers
After blending this dressing in a blender, I like to store it in a mason jar. Any container works, just make sure it’s airtight and then store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. I use these 8 oz mason jars and plastic lids for storing.
If the contents separate or solidify in the refrigerator, just let the dressing come to room temperature on the counter (or use a hot water bath) and then shake the dressing to combine!
More Dressing Recipes to Try
- Go-To Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing
- White Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Raspberry Vinaigrette
More Recipes with Basil
- Watermelon Salad with Feta and Basil
- Blueberry Basil Weight Loss Smoothie
- Grilled Lemon Basil Tofu
- Easy Pesto
- 1 cup packed basil, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup shallot
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- Add all dressing ingredients into a high powered blender and blend for at least 1 minute, or until basil is really chopped up and dressing is emulsified. Recipe will yield about 3/4 cup.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.