This lemon basil tofu is marinated in a zesty fresh basil sauce and grilled to perfection. It’s easy and absolutely delicious!
The one fresh herb that I’m actually pretty good at growing is basil. This works out quite nicely because it’s also one of my favorites to use in the kitchen. We currently have two massive basil plants growing strong so I’ve been looking for recipes to put the sweet leaves to good use. This tasty grilled tofu is one of those dishes…
Normally I leave grilling up to our resident grill master, aka Isaac, but we got a new grill this summer and I’ve been experimenting on my own a little bit. So far, I’ve only done grilled summer vegetables, veggies burgers and this tofu, but I’ve really loving it. Everything cooks so quickly and it’s nice not having to turn on the oven.
This tofu is awesome because the marinade is easy to prep, doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and tastes super fresh and summery.
Grilled Lemon Basil Tofu Salad
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons spicy dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup or agave if you're vegan)
- 1-2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (the juice of about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (I use Twin Oaks)
- salad greens and fresh veggies
- Combine all ingredients except tofu in a small bowl. Cut tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Place tofu slices into a container with the marinade and let sit for at least a hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove tofu slices from marinade, making sure to leave any access marinade in the container. Place tofu slices on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 3-5 minutes on each side. Serve tofu over a bed of greens and other veggies. Drizzle extra marinade over tofu to use as a dressing and serve.
I love the flavor of the lemon basil and how quickly the tofu cooks up on the grill. Plus grill marks just look cool.
If it’s raining, you don’t have a grill or you simply hate grilling, you can bake it instead. Just preheat your oven to 400° and bake the tofu for about 15 minutes, flipping it once during the baking process.
I served the tofu over a bed of spring mix with chopped bell peppers and onions. You could easily choose any salad greens or vegetables that strike or fancy. Or you serve the tofu over a bed of quinoa with a vegetable side. Enjoy!