Air Fryer Asparagus
Published Mar 04, 2022, Updated Feb 22, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Make air fryer asparagus in under 10 minutes with this simple recipe! The end result is crisp and tender asparagus that makes for a perfect healthy side dish with just about any entree.
I’m seriously hooked on using my air fryer for as many recipes as possible… potatoes, eggs, chicken, salmon… you name it! I just love how things turn out when you air fry, especially veggies. And air fryer asparagus is no exception!
The asparagus cooks up in under 10 minutes and comes out crispy and tender. It’s seriously addicting, I could easily eat the whole batch to myself (and may or may not have already done that!)
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s super simple! Toss your asparagus in some oil and spices and let the air fryer do the rest!
- You can pair it with just about any main entree as a side, but also makes for a healthy snack!
- You’ll end up with crispy and deliciously addicting asparagus.
- Asparagus is low-carb and low in calories making it a great for volume eaters.
Asparagus Nutrition Facts
Asparagus is a nutrient-dense food, meaning it packs a lot of nutrients and not a lot of calories. 1 cup of asparagus is only 20 calories so it’s a wonderful vegetable for volume eating.
It’s also loaded with fiber and has a lot of great vitamins and minerals – the most notable being folate, a nutrient that is essential for a healthy pregnancy, as well as, vitamin A, C and vitamin K, an essential nutrient for blood clotting and bone health.
- asparagus – 1 bunch of fresh asparagus. Look for spears that are straight, firm to the touch, and have a rich color with a small amount of white at the bottom. Avoid stalks that appear soft, wilted or are faded in color.
- olive oil – avocado oil would also work.
- seasonings – garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- parmesan – I love sprinkling fresh parmesan cheese on top to add a little flavor and I love the crunchiness it adds once it cooks up. If you need this recipe to be vegan or dairy-free simply skip the cheese!
- lemon – a squeeze of fresh lemon adds beautiful acidity to the overall dish but it’s optional and delicious without it!
How to Make Air Fryer Asparagus
This air fryer asparagus recipe is so, so simple! Start by washing and trimming the asparagus to remove the woody ends. Add spears to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat, then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
Preheat air fryer if required. Add asparagus to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook on 400°F for 7-8 minutes.
Serve asparagus immediately with a slice of lemon and additional parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper on top, if desired.
note! The cook time will depend on how thick your asparagus is, so watch it carefully! The thinner the asparagus the quicker it'll cook up.
I love these asparagus just as they are, but here are a few ideas to switch up the flavors:
- Spicy – add some red pepper flakes or Sriracha for a touch of spice!
- Sweet + spicy – go for a sweet and spicy combo by drizzling with honey (or maple syrup) and sprinkling with red pepper flakes.
- Sesame – give your asparagus an Asian flare and add soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos and sesame seeds.
- Bacon bits – make some tempeh bacon or coconut bacon (or the real deal!), chop into small pieces and top your aspaaragus with bacon ‘bits’ for some umami flavor!
- Balsamic vinegar – Simply drizzle some balsamic vinegar for an extra boost of flavor.
Air Fryer FAQ
That depends on your air fryer! Some recommend preheating and others do not require it. Check your owners’ manual to see what they recommend. If you don’t have a preheat setting, just set your air fryer to the required temperature about 3 minutes before adding your food.
It depends on the size of your basket. You’ll want to make sure you don’t overcrowd the basket or your asparagus will not get crispy. If you want to make a bigger batch of asparagus you may need to cook in batches. I was able to do this full recipe at one time in my 4-quart air fryer, but I wouldn’t be able to fit more without overcrowding it.
I do not recommend spraying aerosol spray directly on your air fryer! Like most non-stick items, it’s best to avoid sprays like Pam as it can mess with the finish. You can however use an oil mister or non aerosol sprays. I really like the Chosen Foods avocado oil spray.
Yes! To reheat, warm asparagus in the air fryer at 350ºF for 2-3 minutes until warm throughout and crisp.
Asparagus tastes the best when the white part of the stalk has been trimmed off. You may or may not know this trick, but hold the asparagus spear in your two hands and bend it near the base. The spear will snap off where the woody part of the stalk ends and the edible stem begins. Alternatively, you can use a knife to cut off the end.
If you are roasting asparagus in the oven it will take about 12-15 minutes at 425°F, but if you’re cooking asparagus in the air fryer it’ll cook up in only 7-8 minutes! If you are looking for a recipe on how to make asparagus in the oven I do have a roasted asparagus recipe that you can check out.
How to Serve Air Fryer Asparagus
This air fryer asparagus can be served in a variety of different ways! Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve with air fryer salmon or apple cider vinegar chicken and cauliflower rice for a complete meal of proteins, healthy fats and carbs.
- Use air fryer asparagus in this garlic shrimp and asparagus recipe.
- Add to a grain bowl like this chicken protein bowl or quinoa fried rice.
- Serve alongside vegan potato soup and sourdough bread to amp up the nutrients!
- Serve as a side for a holiday meal alongside this vegan lentil loaf, mashed cauliflower and kale and brussels sprout salad.
How to Store And Reheat
Chances are you won’t have any leftovers to store! But if you do, you can put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Be aware that they will lose their crispiness and might become soggy. To reheat, warm them in the air fryer at 350ºF for 2-3 minutes until warm throughout and crisp.
More Asparagus Recipes
Looking For More Air Fryer Recipes?
- Air Fryer Chickpeas (5 Ways)
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Tofu
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Be sure to check out the full collection of the air fryer recipes here on EBF!
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, 1 lb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Toppings: lemon, crushed red pepper, additional parmesan cheese
- Wash asparagus and break or chop off the tough ends.
- Place the asparagus spears into a mixing bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Preheat air fryer if required. Add asparagus to the air fryer in a single layer and cook on 400°F for 7-8 minutes. Note that the cook time will depend on how thick your asparagus is so watch it carefully.
- Serve asparagus immediately with a slice of lemon juice for squeezing and additional parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper on top, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Could you tell me what kind of air fryer you have?
Hi, Kay! I have this Ninja 4 Quart Air Fryer.
This was delicious. I cooked my asparagus about 3 minutes longer, because I personally prefer it crispier. I also added nutritional yeast after it was plated, and the flavor was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
Sounds like a great adjustment, Skye! Thank you for leaving me a comment and review, I appreciate it!
I’ve tried every way of cooking asparagus and this was by far the best. Next time I’ll wait with the cheese until it’s almost done because the cheese left a mess in the air fryer.
Hi Cindy – Ah! I am so glad that you found this recipe and are loving it! Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your review & star rating, it means so much to me!