Swap potatoes for cauliflower to create a healthy mashed cauliflower side dish that tastes just like creamy mashed potatoes but with less carbs and calories. This post is sponsored by Kroger. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Cauliflower is a healthy-eater’s best friend. Especially when you’re looking for a healthy way to indulge in “carby” things like bread, rice, pizza and potatoes. It’s amazingly versatile and even surprises me sometimes with how well it can transform from a simple veggie into something like a pizza crust, kettle corn or an alfredo sauce.
So when thinking of holiday recipes to share this year I knew I wanted to showcase cauliflower and immediately thought it would be fun to do a mashed cauliflower side dish.
Maria and I experimented in the kitchen a few weeks ago and we came up with this recipe and it’s pretty darn good!! The texture is silky smooth, just like regular mashed potatoes. You can taste the cauliflower flavor, but with a little butter (we used ghee) and a bit of parmesan, garlic and fresh chives, this mashed cauliflower is totally delicious and makes a great low-carb, low-cal swap for mashed potatoes.
You could probably even fool a few people if you didn’t tell them ahead of time that you used cauliflower instead of potatoes.
I know that I’ll be making a batch of this mashed cauliflower for Thanksgiving, but I can also see myself making it for other holidays and even weeknight meals. It’s an easy and healthy side dish, but also makes a great base for bowl meals. I made bowls using this cauli mash as the base with a little ground turkey and roasted root vegetables on top. As I type this I’m realizing I should probably share the recipe because the bowls were really delicious and comforting.
While we’re thinking about the holidays, let’s talk food shopping. If you’re like me you likely spend a TON of time grocery shopping during the holiday season preparing for holiday meals, parties, baking and more. If so, I highly recommend checking out Kroger’s ClickList service where you can order your groceries online (on your computer, tablet or mobile device) and pick them up the next day without even stepping inside the store. It’s super easy, convenient and such a time saver — which is especially important this time of year when we’re all so crazy busy!
Since writing my last post about the service, I’ve used ClickList multiple times and love it! And this is coming from a girl who actually likes grocery shopping. For those of you who loathe spending time doing in-store shopping, this service is be your new BFF. Trust me.
- 1 medium-large head of cauliflower (about 10 cups cauliflower florets)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ghee or butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped + more for topping
- Break cauliflower into florets and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the cauliflower and heat until water is boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 12 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon ghee, minced garlic and a pinch of sea salt. Sauté until garlic is tender and fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Drain cauliflower and carefully place in a large food processor with sautéd garlic, ½ Tablespoon ghee, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and chives. Process until cauliflower is smooth. Transfer to a bowl, top with chives and serve.
by Brittany Mullins
To make this dish vegan swap the ghee for butter flavored coconut oil and use this hemp parmesan.
Are you obsessed with cauliflower like I am? If so, what’s your favorite cauliflower based dish?