Add a little green to your Thanksgiving menu with this flavorful recipe for tender crisp green beans tossed with caramelized shallots, toasted almonds and fresh parsley.
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 shallot bulb (about 5–6 cloves), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons toasted almond slices
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium heat, add almond slices and cook until toasted, about 5-6 minutes or until almonds are golden. Remove almonds from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add coconut oil and heat over high heat until melted. Add in shallot slices, turn heat down to medium-low. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook shallots until caramelized, stirring frequently throughout the cooking process. This should take about 15 minutes and the shallots should turn golden brown in color.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans by bringing a saucepan of water with a pinch of sea salt to a boil. Once water is boiling, add in green beans and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the beans are bight green in color and tender crisp.
- Drain and transfer the beans into the skillet with the caramelized shallots. Toss to combine.
- The coconut oil and shallots will coat the beans. Add in chopped parsley and apple cider vinegar. Season with sea salt and pepper. Heat for another 3-4 minutes or until beans are warm. Transfer beans to a large dish or platter, top with toasted almonds and serve.
- Serving Size: 4 oz.
- Calories: 92
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g