Swap potatoes for cauliflower with this healthy mashed cauliflower recipe! It's the perfect side dish and comes together quickly with only 6 ingredients. It's just as creamy and delicious as mashed potatoes, but has half the calories and one-third of the carbs.
- 1 large head of cauliflower chopped into florets (about 10 cups)
- ½ Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ghee or butter plus more for topping
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives chopped, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup reserved water
Chop cauliflower into florets and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the cauliflower and heat until water is boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
While cauliflower is cooking, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon ghee or butter and minced garlic. Sauté until garlic is tender and fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Before you drain cauliflower, scoop out ¼ cup water to save for later. Drain cauliflower and add to food processor with sautéd garlic, ½ Tablespoon ghee or butter, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and chives.
Process until cauliflower is smooth, adding water as necessary to reach desired consistency. I used 2 Tablespoons of reserved water. If you don’t own a food processor, an immersion blender, standing mixer or potato masher would all work work.
Transfer to a bowl, top with chives and additional butter/ghee if you prefer and serve.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can mash the cauliflower using a stand mixer, blender or a handheld potato masher — the consistency just won’t be as smooth. If needed, you can reheat the mashed cauliflower in a small saucepan before serving.
- To make this dish vegan swap the ghee for butter flavored coconut oil and use this hemp parmesan.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 766mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g