These no bake superfood cereal squares are the perfect combo of chewy and crunchy. They hold together well so they’re portable and make a delicious, healthy whole-grain snack! This post is sponsored by General Mills Big G Cereals.
Like trail mix in bar form, these cereal squares are packed with nutrient dense superfood seeds, cereal with whole grain and dried fruit. They’re held together with a blend of almond butter and honey so they’re nutty, sweet and perfectly chewy with a little crunch from the cereal.
Plus, they’re so quick and easy to make. I’ve already made two batches in the past couple weeks and I can easily see them becoming a weekly staple around here. Isaac loves snacking on them while making deliveries and they’ve quickly become a daily afternoon snack for me.
A blend of original Cheerios and oats work great as a base for the squares. Both add an oaty flavor and offer a heafty dose of whole grain.
Speaking of, September is National Whole Grain Month!
As you all know, I am a big advocate for choosing whole grains and almost every recipe with grains here on EBF is made with whole over refined grains.
With the paleo and grain-free food trends I think grains have gotten a bad reputation, but it’s important to remember that whole grains (like oats, rice, corn, sorghum, spelt, wheat, rye, barley, etc) are whole, real foods and unless you have an allergy or intolerance, they’re really good for you.
I’m sure most of you already know this, but just as a refresher, whole grains are awesome for a variety of reasons. It provides key nutrients in our diets like vitamins, minerals and fiber. Studies show too that eating more whole grain may reduce the risk of some chronic diseases like heart disease. And it’s crazy because 95% of Americans do not get enough whole grain in their diet! The good news is that whole grain is the first ingredient in all General Mills Big G cereals, including Cheerios, so when you make these bars you’re packing in a good amount.
As I mentioned, I used original regular Cheerios for this recipe, but you can have fun with it and use your favorite flavor. I already have plans to make pumpkin cereal squares with Pumpkin Spice Cheerios in the next week or so!
Superfood Cereal Squares
- 1 1/2 cups Cheerios
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or goji berries
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup natural creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place Cheerios, oats, coconut flakes, dried cranberries, pepitas, sunflower seeds, hemp and chia seeds in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a small saucepan, heat almond butter and honey over low-medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture is completely smooth. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour over the cereal mixture and gently toss to coat everything.
- Pour into lined pan and press mixture down firmly with a spatula or your hands. Place squares in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set up. Remove from freezer, cut into squares and serve. Store leftover squares in the fridge.
This post is sponsored by General Mills Big G Cereals. As always opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EBF possible.