Our kitchen, in all it’s retro 1950’s glory, is slowly but surely coming together and I finally got around to using it this week.
Homemade Coconut Chocolate Chip Larabars for the win!
If you’ve ever had a Coconut Chocolate Chip Larabar before you’ll know it’s packed with coconut flavor and studded with sweet chocolate chips — basically a health nut’s candy bar. I think it might be my favorite Larabar flavor, although I do love Apple Pie, Peanut Butter Cookie and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip as well. Oh, and apparently there’s a new flavor out — Strawberry Shortcake. Definitely gotta find/try that one soon.
So yeah, the Coconut Chocolate Chip is a favorite and I have no clue why I haven’t made a homemade version before now. Seriously — they’re incredibly easy to make and the perfect way to satisfy a nagging sweet tooth.
All you need is five simple ingredients and food processor!
Make a batch this weekend and thank me later.
- Line a square or rectangle baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place coconut, almonds and cashews into food processor and pulse until they're chopped into small pieces. Place nut mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- Put dates into the food processor and pulse until a paste forms (the dates will probably form into a sticky ball).
- Add nuts and coconut back into the processor with the dates and pulse until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and pulse a few more times, until they’re just incorporated.
- Remove dough from processor and press evenly into your prepared dish. Make sure you press the dough down really well so that the bars stay together.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to harden up and then slice into bars. Store any leftovers in the fridge with parchment paper between them for up to a week. You can also store the bars in the freezer if you want them to last even longer.
I’m actually doing a little demo and making them for the ladies at my local Pure Barre studio this morning… headed there now! 🙂