We’re all about the holidays this weekend here at Casa de EBF. Wrapping, baking, family and celebrating… that pretty much sums it up. We’ve been jamming out to Christmas tunes, traveling to visit family and overall just enjoying the season. Yesterday I spent the afternoon baking Christmas cookies with my nanny, sister and her girls. It’s a tradition and it’s something I look forward to every year. We baked and then took the goodies to our family Christmas party at my aunt and uncle’s house, which is always a good time.
Since I was young my favorite holiday treats have always been Nanny’s Crescent Cookies, No Bake Cookies and Peanut Butter Balls. <– Can you tell I love all things peanut butter and chocolate?
Over the years I’ve made a couple different Healthy No Bake Cookies recipes, so this year I decided to test out making a healthier version of the peanut butter balls.
After a little recipe testing (and one batch of peanut butter balls turned peanut butter cookie Larabars) I finally perfected a recipe for healthier peanut butter balls. They taste just like the ones I used to love growing up, only they’re vegan, gluten-free, sweetened with dates and require only five ingredients!
Everyone who has tried them has loved them, including Isaac who said, “Oh yum! They’re like peanut butter cups.”
So if you’re in need of another holiday treat recipe, these balls should be added to your list. And if you’re taking them to a party, I highly recommend doubling the recipe because they’ll go fast, trust me! 🙂Print
- 4-5 medjool dates (I used Natural Delights)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup natural roasted and salted peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chunks)
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Add dates to food processor or mini chopper and pulse until dates are finely chopped and form a sticky ball. Add in oats and pulse a few more times until combined.
- Add peanut butter and process until combined. If the mixture seems too oily, add another Tablespoon of oats. Scoop out peanut butter dough by the tablespoon and roll into balls. Place balls on parchment paper. Place peanut butter balls in the freezer until firm (several hours or overnight). This step makes it easier to dip the balls into the chocolate.
- A couple minutes before taking the balls out of the freezer, combine your chocolate chips with the coconut oil and melt the mixture. Use a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments (stirring after every 30 seconds) until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip chilled balls into the melted chocolate and roll until covered. Place back on parchment paper. Once all balls are covered, place back in freezer until hard. Store in freezer or fridge until ready to enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g