Make healthy peanut butter balls with only 5 simple ingredients: peanut butter, oats, dates, chocolate and coconut oil! No powdered sugar or butter needed. These peanut butter balls are dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan!
We’re all about the holidays this weekend. Wrapping, baking, family and celebrating… that pretty much sums it up. We’ve been jamming out to Christmas tunes, traveling to visit family and overall just enjoying the season. Yesterday I spent the afternoon baking Christmas cookies with my nanny, sister and her girls. It’s a tradition and it’s something I look forward to every year. We baked and then took the goodies to our family Christmas party at my aunt and uncle’s house, which is always a good time.
Over the years I’ve made a couple different healthy no bake cookies recipes, so this year I decided to test out making a healthy version of the classic peanut butter balls we used to make every year only without the butter or powered sugar.
After a little recipe testing (and one batch of peanut butter balls turned peanut butter energy balls) I finally perfected a recipe for healthy chocolate peanut butter balls. They taste just like the ones I used to love growing up, only they’re vegan, gluten-free, sweetened with dates and require only five ingredients! They’re basically just like my peanut butter eggs, but in the shape of a ball instead of an egg.
Everyone who has tried them has loved them, including Isaac who said, “Oh yum! They’re like peanut butter cups.”
So if you’re in need of another holiday treat recipe, these balls should be added to your list. And if you’re taking them to a party, I highly recommend doubling the recipe because they’ll go fast, trust me! 🙂
If you make these healthier peanut butter balls be sure to leave a comment and star rating letting me know how they turn out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and other EBF readers who are thinking about making the recipe.Print
Make healthier peanut butter balls with only 5 simple ingredients: peanut butter, oats, dates, chocolate and coconut oil! No powdered sugar or butter needed. These peanut butter balls are dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan!
- 4-5 medjool dates (I used Natural Delights)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup natural roasted and salted peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chunks)
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Add dates to food processor or mini chopper and pulse until dates are finely chopped and form a sticky ball. Add in oats and pulse a few more times until combined.
- Add peanut butter and process until combined. If the mixture seems too oily, add another Tablespoon of oats. Scoop out peanut butter dough by the tablespoon and roll into balls. Place balls on parchment paper. Place peanut butter balls in the freezer until firm (several hours or overnight). This step makes it easier to dip the balls into the chocolate.
- A couple minutes before taking the balls out of the freezer, combine your chocolate chips with the coconut oil and melt the mixture. Use a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments (stirring after every 30 seconds) until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip chilled balls into the melted chocolate and roll until covered. Place back on parchment paper. Once all balls are covered, place back in freezer until hard. Store in freezer or fridge until ready to enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: peanut butter balls