This lime and avocado tart has a creamy avocado coconut filling with a coconut pecan crust. It’s super easy to make, vegan and gluten-free!
Morning friends and happy Monday. I must say that waking up at 5:15 this morning was not a fun feeling considering it felt like 4:15 and I went to bed past mid-night. Did anyone else stay up extra late last night because you didn’t feel tired at your normal bedtime? Oh well, I guess I’ll get used the switcheroo in a few days and it will definitely be nice to have more sunshine in the evenings.
Speaking of spring forward and spring, St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and I’ve whipped up a tasty dessert recipe to help you celebrate (that doesn’t involve beer or corned beef). It’s a creamy avocado tart with a hint of lime… perfect for spring!
I posted a photo on Instagram a few weeks ago when I made the tarts for the first time, but decided I needed to make them again to ensure the recipe was just right.
I added more agave to this batch and they turned out perfectly — not too sweet, but sweet enough and not too tart either. I love the creaminess and the green color. So festive.
I used 4-inch springform pans and made two small tarts, however these would be absolutely adorable in the mini 2-inch springform pans and you could make one large tart as well. Or you could even put the ingredients in small ramekins or a mini cupcake pan. Just make sure the tarts are pretty frozen when you go to get them out of the cupcake tin or else you’ll mess them up.
Once the tart has become firm in the freezer, it’s ready to serve. You can take it out to thaw for about 10-15 minutes before serving. You can certainly eat it earlier if you like the frozen texture (which I do) — just test it a little to see which way you like it best. As I mention below in the recipe, if you let it sit out too long, the filling will get pretty soft, almost like a pudding so make sure to put any leftovers back in the freezer.
The best part = these little tarts are made with all natural ingredients and packed with healthy fats from the pecans, coconut and avocado! They’re raw, vegan, gluten-free AND creamy and rich without being over the top sweet.
They work great to satisfy a craving for key lime pie or even ice cream… with only a small piece. I found the four-inch tart is the perfect size to serve 3-4 people.
Creamy Lime and Avocado Tart (Vegan + Gluten Free)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dates (about 12 dates)
- 1-2 teaspoons lime zest
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 avocados (about 1 1/2 cups of avocado puree)
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut or agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Process the crust ingredients (coconut, pecans, dates, lime zest and sea salt) in a food processor or mini chopper until the dates have turned into sticky paste holding the crust ingredients together. Take mixture out of the processor and press evenly into two mini springform pans. Place pans in freezer while you make the tart filling.
- While the crust is setting in the freezer, blend ingredients for the filling (avocados, lime juice, agave, coconut oil and lime zest) in a high-speed blender or food processor until creamy.
- Pour half the avocado filling over the crust in one pan and then pour the remaining filling over the crust in the second pan. Use a spoon to make sure the filling is even and smooth.
- Place pans in the freezer to set up, at least 2 hours, but can be overnight. Take out of freezer, remove the springform pan, let sit out for 10-15 minutes, cut into slices and serve. The longer it sits out, the filling will soften and become more like pudding. It still tastes amazing, but not as firm. Store any leftovers back in the freezer.
by Brittany Mullins
Enjoy and happy early St. Patrick’s Day!