Coffee Protein Shake
Published Jul 09, 2021, Updated Sep 15, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Get energized with this coffee protein shake recipe! It packs cold brew coffee and loads of protein (25 grams!) into one, thick and delicious shake.
I’ve got another protein shake recipe for you and it might be my absolute favorite! Shh… don’t tell the others.
It’s honestly the perfect way to start your morning because it packs a caffeine punch yet it doesn’t spike your blood sugar thanks to the protein.
This coffee protein shake is similar to my healthy Frappuccino, but it has an added ingredient that may be a little unexpected… riced cauliflower! It doesn’t add any flavor but adds a creamy texture and added fiber. I’m calling this the healthiest way to drink coffee.
Here’s What You Need
- cold brew – make your own cold brew or use store bought.
- riced frozen cauliflower or ice – I use frozen cauliflower rice in my shakes all the time and it works as a low-sugar replacement for frozen banana. I promise you won’t taste it!
- banana – I recommend using a frozen banana because it will give you that thick and creamy shake texture.
- vanilla or chocolate protein powder – Either vanilla or chocolate protein powder pair well with this shake! I love use Nuzest protein powder. It’s plant-based, has a short ingredient list and great nutrition facts! Use my code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order.
- milk – I like using unsweetened almond milk for this protein shake, but any milk will work. And you can even make your own almond milk if you’re feeling fancy.
- chia seeds – adds extra protein, fiber and healthy fats.
- cinnamon – the perfect spice to add to this smoothie. If you don’t love cinnamon, you can skip this!
- almond butter – can substitute a different nut or seed butter if you prefer.
Adding Coffee to a Protein Shake
I know it may seem like an interesting combo, but yes you can certainly add coffee to your protein shake. Not only does the coffee give your shake an energizing boost of caffeine, but it adds a delicious coffee flavor too! There are a few different options when it comes to adding coffee:
- cold brew – my personal favorite! I love making my own cold brew to add to this protein shake.
- iced coffee – if you don’t have any cold brew on hand you can chill regular coffee and use that!
- instant coffee – there are so many different kinds of instant coffee powder. Feel free to use this if that’s what you have on hand.
- espresso powder – add 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder for a caffeinated boost.
- mushroom coffee – if you are a mushroom coffee fan, you can absolutely add a serving of instant powder to this shake and get those added health benefits.
Make it a Mocha Protein Shake!
This protein shake is so versatile. Feeling like a mocha protein shake? Add in some cocoa powder (about 1 Tablespoon) or simply use chocolate protein powder for a delicious, chocolatey flavor.
More Coffee Lover Recipes
- Coffee Overnight Oats
- Vegan Coffee Cake
- Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
- Almond Butter Espresso Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Protein Coffee
More Protein Shakes to Try
- Banana Protein Shake
- Vanilla Protein Shake
- Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Vegan Protein Shake
- Chocolate Protein Shake
- Strawberry Protein Shake
- Pumpkin Protein Shake
Coffee Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients into your blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.