Published Jan 05, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Add protein to your coffee with this protein coffee (aka proffee) recipe! In just 5 minutes you’ll have a delicious, creamy breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up that’s packed with over 20 grams of protein.
Move over whipped coffee, there’s a new coffee trend in town and it’s called protein coffee (aka proffee)!
This is the perfect drink to make for busy on-the-go mornings or as a post-workout pick-me-up. I love how I can get my caffeine fix and protein all in one!
What is Protein Coffee?
Protein coffee (also known as proffee) is a simple drink that combines coffee with a scoop of protein powder or a prepared protein shake. It’s a tasty and convenient way to add some extra protein to your diet and is the perfect way to start your morning because it packs a caffeine punch yet it doesn’t spike your blood sugar thanks to the protein.
Protein is one of the three macronutrients that are necessary for our body’s functions (along with fat and carbohydrates). If you think protein is only necessary for professional athletes or bodybuilders, think again! Protein is quite the powerhouse. It helps build your bones, muscles, tissues and organs and also keeps those things functioning properly. On a less science-y note, protein helps you feel full and satisfied, helps with cravings and helps maintain your weight.
- cold brew – make your own cold brew or use store bought.
- vanilla protein powder – I love using vanilla protein because of the taste that it adds to the coffee, but chocolate protein powder would also be delicious. My favorite brand is Nuzest (use code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order) because it’s plant-based, has a short ingredient list and great nutrition facts! Use my code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order. That said, feel free to use your favorite brand and flavor of protein powder. You can also use a prepared protein shake if that’s what you have on hand.
- ice – the ice is to keep your drink cool longer.
- optional additions – add a splash of oat milk, almond milk or your favorite coffee creamer, a dash of cinnamon or vanilla for added flavor or a touch of sweetener with maple syrup, honey or stevia.
How to Make
This protein coffee recipe couldn’t get any easier to make! Just add your cold brew and protein powder to a blender and blend until combined and frothy. Pour over a glass with ice, stir and enjoy!
pro tip! As the protein coffee sits some of the powder might sink to the bottom of the glass. If that happens, just give it a big stir and enjoy!
The Best Coffee to Use
There’s really no best answer for this as it’s all up to your personal preference as to what type of coffee you like. Here’s some options that might help:
- cold brew – my personal favorite! I love making my own cold brew to use for the base of this recipe.
- iced coffee – if you don’t have any cold brew on hand you can chill regular coffee and use that!
- instant coffee – there are so many different kinds of instant coffee powder. Feel free to use this if that’s what you have on hand.
- espresso – add your protein powder to 2 shots of espresso for a caffeinated boost. You can also use espresso powder for instant espresso!
- hot coffee – want to make this a hot protein coffee? Go for it! Just add your hot coffee and protein powder to your blender and blend until combined!
- Peppermint: Add a splash of peppermint extract for a minty version!
- Mocha: Add in some cocoa powder (about 1 Tablespoon) or simply use chocolate protein powder for a delicious, chocolatey flavor.
- Caramel: Add a splash of oat milk and 1 Tablespoon of my date caramel sauce to your blender for a delicious caramel flavor!
- Bullet Proof: Blend in a scoop of healthy fats for a bullet proof coffee. Try using your favorite nut butter, like almond butter or peanut butter, or blend in a spoonful of coconut oil, ghee or butter.
I prefer to use my blender for this recipe as it helps to really combine the protein powder with the coffee and creates a nice frothy consistency, but you can totally make this recipe without a blender! Just add the coffee and protein powder to a mason jar with a lid or blender bottle and shake until combined. I like to use these 16 oz wide mouth mason jars.
My favorite brands of protein powder are Nuzest and Sun Warrior. I love both their protein powders because they’re vegan, there is no chalky taste and the ingredient list is minimal. That said, feel free to use your favorite brand and flavor of protein powder. Whey protein powder, hemp protein powder and collagen powder should all work nicely in this recipe!
The best time to drink protein coffee is really up to you and your body’s needs! If you’re looking for a delicious and convenient way to start your day, you could try sipping on a protein coffee in the morning. Or, if you’re looking for a tasty way to recover after a workout, you could try having a protein coffee as a post-workout treat.
More Coffee Recipes to Try
- Cold Brew Coffee Overnight Oats
- How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
- Coffee Protein Shake
- Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
- Healthy Frappuccino
- Creamy Iced Coffee
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
More Drink Recipes to Try
- Clementine Smoothie
- Butterfinger Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Iced Matcha Latte
- How to Make Almond Milk
- Banana Cacao Smoothie
- Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drinks
Be sure to check out the full collection of drink recipes on EBF!
- 1 cup cold brew
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 25 grams
- Dash of cinnamon, optional
- Dash of vanilla, optional
- Ice, for serving
- Splash of oat milk, almond milk or coffee creamer, optional
- Add cold brew, protein powder, cinnamon and vanilla (is using) to blender. Blend until combined and frothy.
- Pour over a glass with ice and add a splash of oat milk if desired. Enjoy!
- As the protein coffee sits some of the powder might sink to the bottom of the glass. If that happens, just give it a big stir to combine again!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Hi, These delightful coffee recipes are really making me buzz still! Great tips for all coffee addicts (like me). I love to read every blog related to coffee. So, your ideas are very creative and useful. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.
Yay! I am so glad you are enjoying this recipe and the blog posts, Cynthia. Thank you for sharing your review & star rating, I appreciate it!