Flavored with traditional curry spices and coconut milk, this vegan curried sweet potato soup is so rich and creamy you won’t miss the dairy.
Soup season is here and I couldn’t be more excited — warm bowls of soup are not only super comforting but they’re incredibly easy in terms of cooking and clean up. They’re the ultimate one-pot meal!
This particular soup is loaded with curry powder, garam masala and turmeric so you’ve got all those aromatic Indian spices along with creamy coconut milk and sweet potatoes. It’s thick, rich and absolutely delicious on a chilly fall night.
With pureed soups I like to add a little texture with toppings. For this one I used Manitoba Harvest’s new Hemp Heart Toppers. They not only add a little texture, but they also add extra nutrients and a pop of flavor. The Hemp Heart Toppers are a genius new product that Manitoba Harvest just launched made with a blend of Hemp Hearts and HempPro Fibre®. Each serving contains 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of omega-3 and omega-6!
There are four different flavors — Coconut & Cocoa, Maple & Cinnamon, Chipotle, Onion & Garlic and Onion, Garlic & Rosemary — so they’re perfect for topping soups, salads, eggs, meat, oats and smoothies.
I topped this curried sweet potato soup with the Chipotle, Onion & Garlic Hemp Heart Toppers, because I knew the chipotle flavor would go well with the curry. That said, the Maple & Cinnamon would be delicious topper if you’re in the mood for something a bit sweeter.
I hope you enjoy this creamy soup as much as we do!
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil, coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 6 cups chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- ½ Tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 (32 oz) container of vegetable broth
- Chipotle, Onion & Garlic Hemp Heart Toppers or Maple & Cinnamon Hemp Heart Toppers
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to the pot and sauté until fragrant and soft, about 7 minutes. Stir frequently so that onions and garlic don’t burn.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes and spices and toss to combine.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pot and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a blender. Just blend in batches and be careful because the soup will be very hot!
- The soup will be thick and creamy. Serve in a bowl with a generous sprinkle of Hemp Heart Toppers.
HEMP HEART TOPPERS GIVEAWAY
Want to try the new Hemp Heart Toppers for yourself? You’re in luck! I’m giving away a package of all four flavors to two EBF readers. Simply leave a comment with which flavor you’re most excited to try. The giveaway will end November 4th and I’ll notify the winners soon thereafter.
This post is sponsored by Manitoba Harvest. As always, opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EBF possible.