Eggplant and zucchini slow cooked in a creamy tomato sauce with Indian spices. Serve with cauliflower rice for a flavorful vegan and gluten-free meal!
It’s time to break out your slow cooker (yet again) because I have a another tasty recipe to share. It’s inspired by Baingan Bharta, one of my favorite vegetarian dishes to order when we go out for Indian food.
Naturally this make-at-home version involves Indian spices, but I’ve changed it up a bit by using a combo of eggplant and zucchini. And I also added coconut milk to make it extra creamy. I’m all about the coconut milk lately.
After cooking for hours the eggplant and zucchini get melt-in-your-mouth tender and soak up tons of flavor from the spicy sauce. So delicious!
And did I mention it’s super easy? You literally throw everything in your slow cooker, stir, cover and go about your business while the veggies cook to perfection.
For serving I love pairing the curried eggplant with rice — I used cauliflower rice but basmati rice would work great as well. I also recommend adding in a little protein. Chickpeas would be awesome for a vegetarian meal or you can do chicken or even shrimp.
Oh, and it would be absolutely amazing served with naan! Seriously, garlic naan is one of the things I miss most since going gluten-free. I’m making a note to myself right now to find a gluten-free naan recipe so I can stop feeling naan-deprived. If you have a good one, please share. 🙂Print
Eggplant and zucchini slow cooked in a creamy tomato sauce with Indian spices. Easy, healthy, vegan and gluten-free. Serve with cauliflower rice for a veggie packed meal!
- 4 cups chopped eggplant (peeled, if desired)
- 4 cups chopped zucchini (or more eggplant)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam marsala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Place onion and garlic in a food processor or chopper to finely chop.
- Add chopped onion and garlic mixture, eggplant, zucchini, spices, tomato paste and coconut milk to your slow cooker. Stir everything together. At this point if the mixture seems too thick you can add in a little vegetable broth. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve warm with rice and naan.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Do you like Indian food? If so, what’s your favorite thing to order? I LOVE all Indian food and will pretty much eat anything they cook for me. If you’re local and looking for a good Indian restaurant to try, please go to Lehja. It’s my absolute favorite. We’ve taken friends who say they don’t like Indian food and converted them — it’s that good. 🙂