Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad
Published May 17, 2018, Updated Jul 22, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
A fresh and simple cucumber tomato salad for summer with red onion, red wine vinegar and Italian seasoning. Refreshing, delicious and super easy to toss together.
Today I want to share a bright and refreshing summertime salad that’s amazingly simple.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE easy no-cook recipes. Granted, almost none of the recipes I post here on EBF are difficult as I like to keep things simple in the kitchen. This recipe, however, is easier than most because there’s no cooking involved. Just chop, toss and eat!
The veggies I used were straight from Isaac’s parents’ garden. The tomatoes were plump, sweet and juicy while the cucumber was cool, crisp and refreshing. The two, paired together with a bit of seasoning = perfection.
The idea for the salad actually came to me after being invited over to a friend’s house for dinner one afternoon. Isaac had requested a blueberry crumble so I was preoccupied making desert so I didn’t have much time to make something savory. I saw the veggies sitting on the counter, quickly chopped the veggies, dressed them up a bit and created this simple salad.
It reminds me of a salad that my mom used to make every summer. Her version had only cucumbers, onions and vinegar. I remember as a kid saying that it tasted like salt and vinegar chips. Anyhow, this salad isn’t nearly as vinegary but it’s still just as fresh and simple. It’s the perfect mid-week side salad to serve next to a protein of your choice. We took it to our friends’ house for dinner and everyone enjoyed it, plain or served over a little spring mix.
If you love easy, fresh recipes you’ll love this easy breezy summertime salad! If you make this salad be sure to leave a comment (and rating) letting me know how it turned out. This feedback helps me and other EBF readers.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 to matoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of raw sugar
- Place cucumber, tomatoes, onions and garlic into a bowl. Toss with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt and sugar.
- Let stand for a bit at room temperature or in the fridge, about 15-30 minutes before stirring and serving. As the salad sits, liquid will accumulate. You can serve the salad with a slotted spoon to avoid the extra liquid. Another option is to use the extra liquid as a dressing when serving the salad over greens or to soak up the liquid with slices of crusty bread.
- Having fresh veggies really makes a huge difference so if possible grab the ingredients for this salad from your local produce stand, farmers market or garden.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.