This vibrant holiday kale salad with roasted butternut squash is absolutely perfect for the holidays (or an average weeknight).
- 1 large bunch of Lacinato kale, washed and de-stemmed
- 2 cups of spring mix
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup of kalamata olives, pitted and cut into slivers
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the squash by peeling it, cutting it in half and scraping out the seeds.
- Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes, toss them 1 Tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, and spread the cubes onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 30-40 minutes, turning once or twice, until all the pieces are tender and some have brown spots.
- While roasting the squash, toast the walnuts on a separate baking sheet for about 6-8 minutes in the 400° oven.
- Remove both items from oven when finished cooking and let cool. Once walnuts are cool enough to handle, chop them into bite-size pieces.
- While butternut is roasting, stack the kale leaves and roll them into tight bundles, then slice very thinly with a sharp knife to create shredded pieces.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water over the cranberries and leave them to soften until you are ready to toss the salad. (Drain before adding to the salad).
- In your salad bowl, whisk together dressing by combining olive oil, balsamic, sea salt and pepper. Add all the remaining salad ingredients and toss everything together. Let the salad marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving. The longer the kale marinates the softer the leaves will become.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: butternut squash kale salad