Tender kale with a rich and spicy peanut dressing and chopped red onion! This salad is packed with umami flavor and a fabulous side dish for almost any meal.
Ever since visiting M Café in Los Angeles over five years ago I have been obsessed. <— Why does California have all the delicious, healthy restaurants?!? I’m having withdrawals… I need to plan another visit!
I loved everything I tried at M Café but was particularly keen on their kale salad with spicy peanut dressing. The peanut dressing they use is seriously amazing! After returning home from LA I was determined to recreate the salad. I found out the ingredients via a cooking video (which has since been taken down) and shared the recipe as a guest post on Gina’s blog and here on EBF. <— If you’ve been reading EBF or The Fitnesssita for a while you may remember those posts. 😉
Anyhow, just recently I remade the salad and was quickly reminded how much I love it! I updated the recipe a bit, took new photos and figured I would re-share it for all my new readers or those who may have missed it the first time around.
If you love peanut sauce and are looking for a new kale salad to try, look no further. You will adore this salad!
Blanching the kale tenderizes the leaves which makes the kale easier to chew and digest. The spicy peanut dressing with fresh ginger and garlic gives the salad an umami-rich flavor.
Kale Salad with a Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 3-4 large bunches kale
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3/4 – 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 ounces hot water (plus more if needed)
- Wash kale well. Remove large, tough stems and cut or break large leaves into pieces.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the kale with a slotted spoon to a bowl full of ice water to cool it immediately.
- Drain well and squeeze out all the liquid with your hands.
- Place the dressing ingredients (except the hot water) into a high-powered blender and blend until the mixture becomes smooth. Add water to thin sauce.
- Drizzle about half the dressing on top of the kale and mix the two together. Add more dressing until kale looks coated. You'll probably have dressing leftover (read notes for ideas of what to do with it).
- Garnish kale salad with chopped red onions and serve.
Inspired by M Café.
I hope you all enjoy this kale salad as much as we do! Happy Wednesday.