Tender blanched kale salad with spicy peanut dressing and chopped red onion. This salad is packed with umami flavor and a fabulous side dish for almost any meal.
- 3–4 large bunches kale
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¾ – 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2–3 ounces hot water (plus more if needed)
- Wash kale well. Remove large, tough stems and cut or break large leaves into pieces.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the kale with a slotted spoon to a bowl full of ice water to cool it immediately.
- Drain well and squeeze out all the liquid with your hands.
- Place the dressing ingredients (except the hot water) into a high-powered blender and blend until the mixture becomes smooth. Add water to thin sauce.
- Drizzle about half the dressing on top of the kale and mix the two together. Add more dressing until kale looks coated. You’ll probably have dressing leftover (read notes for ideas of what to do with it).
- Garnish kale salad with chopped red onions and serve.
- Store the leftover dressing in the fridge and reuse it later. I’ve added water and re-blended it to use on regular salads or as a veggie sauce. It works nicely on other vegetables besides kale and it will keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- Inspired by M Café.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Blanch
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: kale salad with peanut dressing