Green Detox Smoothie
Published Jan 01, 2022, Updated Jun 14, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This refreshing green detox smoothie is packed with hydrating fruit and veggies including fresh mint, apple, lemon, baby spinach and a whole heart of romaine. It’s detoxifying and will truly help you glow from the inside out!
Without fail, everyone seems to reset and restart their health goals when January rolls around. Myself included! I love setting goals and intentions for the year ahead and those usually include some healthy eating goals.
Whether you’re trying to get more veggies in, eat healthier or just want a refreshing smoothie for breakfast or snack, this recipe is for you!
Green Smoothies vs. Green Juice
Why smoothies and not juice? I have a juicer and drink fresh juice every now and then but I prefer smoothies because you still get all the fiber. The fiber makes the smoothie more filling and also helps control your blood sugar.
Smoothies in particular are really helpful when you’re trying to increase your consumption of leafy greens because you can add a variety of green leafy vegetables into one smoothie – the smoothie recipe I’m sharing today has a whole romaine heart and spinach!
This smoothie is packed with nutrient-filled fruits and vegetables to help hydrate your skin, strengthen your nails and make your hair strong and healthy.
- romaine heart – to help boost the hydration.
- baby spinach – for some healthy greens.
- banana – frozen banana gives smoothies the best creamy texture. Tip: peel the banana before you freeze it so you don’t have to try to scrape the peel off while frozen!
- apple – I recommend using fuji or pink lady apples because they have a natural sweetness.
- lemon – help to boost your immunity and flush toxins. Just make sure your lemon is peeled.
- fresh ginger – one of my favorite flavors and it has a ton of health benefits. It helps with digestion and is anti-inflammatory, among many other amazing benefits.
- fresh mint – I love adding mint because it has a super refreshing taste.
- water – hydration is arguably the most important factor for achieving a beautiful, healthy glow so I used water for the base. Coconut water is also a great option for hydration. Plus, it’s packed with electrolytes!
- chia seeds – a great source of fiber and healthy fats.
How to Make a Detox Green Smoothie
I always recommend blending the greens and liquid first to make sure the greens really get broken down and you aren’t left with green flecks throughout your smoothie! Place the water, romaine and spinach into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
Add the lemon, ginger, banana, apple, mint and chia seeds and blend on high until the mixture is smooth. Enjoy!
While it’s easy to think you can just throw a bunch of ingredients into the blender and your smoothie will turn out, I’ve found that isn’t actually always the case! I love the combination of flavors I’ve shared for this smoothie, but if you want to switch it up, here are some ideas:
- Skip the romaine – you can definitely make this smoothie with just spinach! Or if you want to add in another green, go for it. Kale would be a great option!
- Banana – I know not everyone is a fan of bananas. The banana provides sweetness and creaminess to the smoothie. You can use fresh avocado or a frozen zucchini (seriously!) to add creaminess to the smoothie and then add a little bit of sweetener like honey or maple syrup to taste.
- Chia seeds – you could also use flax or hemp seeds in this smoothie!
Can I Meal Prep This Smoothie?
Yes! There are a couple of ways to meal prep a smoothie. If you’ll be enjoying it within 24 hours, you can make the smoothie as directed and store in an airtight container in your refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy. Simply give it a shake or an additional blend before enjoying!
You can also portion out all of the ingredients in containers so you’re ready to just dump and blend! I would put the romaine and spinach in one container and freeze. In a separate freezer-safe container, store the banana, apple, ginger, mint and chia seeds. When you’re ready to make your smoothie, you’ll just add the frozen ingredients, add the fresh lemon, pour in the liquid and you’ve got a smoothie in seconds!
More Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
- Avocado Smoothie
- Tropical Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Green Smoothie
- Tahini Smoothie
- Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Protein Smoothie
- 3-Ingredient Mango Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Green Protein Smoothie
Be sure to check out all the smoothie recipes here on EBF.
Green Detox Smoothie
- Place water, romaine and spinach into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the lemon, banana, apple, ginger, mint and chia seeds. Blend on high until banana has been completely pureed and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.