Healthy Guacamole with Frozen Peas
Published May 04, 2020, Updated Jul 05, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This healthy guacamole with frozen peas is lower in fat and calories, but tastes just as delicious as the real deal. The peas add a subtle sweetness and give the guac a vibrant green color!
Secret Ingredient for Healthy Guacamole
I know a guacamole purist won’t like this idea, but my healthy guacamole recipe has a secret ingredient = frozen peas. I know what you’re thinking… peas in guacamole, what?!? But don’t worry, no one will be able to detect that you used peas in place of some of the avocado. It tastes just as good as the real deal, maybe even better.
In my mind, there’s nothing unhealthy about regular guacamole. Avocado is a healthy fat. That said, using frozen peas in place of a couple extra avocados makes this guacamole lower in calories and fat per serving. Which basically means you can eat more. As a volume eater this makes me a happy camper. I also have an easy guacamole recipe if you’re looking to stick to the original!
I can’t take credit for this idea. The original recipe is actually from Rancho La Puerta, a resort and spa in Baja, California that I visited a few years ago.
I know some of you may be nervous to add frozen peas to your guacamole, but you have to trust me on this one. I don’t play around when it comes to guacamole and this version is delicious. As an added bonus, the peas keep the guacamole looking extra green since they don’t turn brown like avocados do.
My recommendation — try the recipe for yourself this weekend and let me know how you like it. If you’re making it for a party or family gathering, I highly recommend doubling the recipe. It will go quick.. trust me!
Healthy Options to Pair with Guacamole
Oh, and if you’re looking for something healthy to serve with this guac, here are some options:
- carrots – I love buying fresh carrot chips. They look like little waffle fries and they provide a good crunch
- fresh jicama or my baked jicama fries
- baked pita chips
- grain-free tortilla chips
Meals that Pair Well with Guacamole
- Clean Eating Fish Tacos
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Enchilada Bake
- Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
- Tofu Sofritas + Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowls
- Tempeh Tacos
More Game Day Snacks
- Sweet Potato Skins
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Cheesy Cauliflower Nachos
- Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Creamy Hummus
- Easy Black Bean Dip
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Creamy Vegan Queso
Healthy Guacamole (with Frozen Peas)
- 1 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut into ¼ -inch dice
- ½ cup red onion, cut into ⅛-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place peas in the bowl of a food processor or mini chopper and pulse until the peas are smooth.
- Transfer peas into a medium bowl and add lime juice, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic and salt. Stir everything together with a fork.
- Add avocado chunks to the bowl and mix well, mashing the avocado as you stir.
- Serve with an assortment of raw vegetables and tortilla chips.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.