Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Published Feb 01, 2022, Updated Jul 24, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These baked buffalo chicken meatballs are an easy and delicious appetizer for game day or any party. They’re loaded with flavor and sure to become a new fan favorite! They also make a great low-carb option for meal prep.
While I’ve never been a huge fan of traditional wings, I have always loved buffalo-inspired recipes and it seems like many of you do as well!
I’ve shared buffalo cauliflower wings, air fryer buffalo cauliflower and a buffalo cauliflower salad… so many buffalo cauliflower creations. But today we’re switching things up and making buffalo chicken meatballs.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These meatballs are the perfect addition to any potluck or party spread.
- They’re low carb – only 2g of carbs per serving when made with almond flour.
- The meatballs come together in just one bowl – yay for minimal dishes!
- They can be enjoyed as an appetizer, but also as a main dish. They’re great for meal prep.
- ground chicken – ground chicken is the base of this recipe. I tested the recipe with ground turkey and while it turned out, the flavor wasn’t my favorite. I highly recommend sticking with ground chicken here.
- buffalo sauce – I like Primal Kitchen’s buffalo sauce and Noble Made buffalo sauce, but any buffalo sauce works.
- egg – helps bind the meatballs together.
- green onions – you’re actually going to mix some green onions into the meatballs and top with additional green onion.
- diced carrots – I love adding some veggies into my meatballs. Just be sure sure to dice these up into really small chunks!
- almond flour or panko bread crumbs – along with the egg, this helps bind the meatballs together. For a gluten-free option, I recommend almond flour, otherwise, panko bread crumbs work great!
- garlic powder and onion powder – the perfect spice pairing to round out the recipe.
- sea salt and black pepper – brings the flavors of this dish together.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Start by mixing up your meatballs! In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, buffalo sauce, egg, green onions, carrots, almond flour or bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. You can use a spoon to mix but it might just be easier to get in there with clean hands to mix it up!
Use a cookie scoop or small spoon to scoop the chicken mixture and then use your hands to form it into balls. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400ºF for 18-20 minutes. When the meatballs are done cooking, drizzle on the remaining sauce and carefully toss the meatballs to coat.
pro tip! If you want to serve these as mini meatballs for an appetizer, use a Tablespoon to scoop the chicken mixture. This recipe will make 25 mini meatballs!
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
I love drizzling on ranch (my vegan ranch dressing would be delicious) or blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles and green onions for serving these meatballs!
For a potluck, you can serve them on a platter paired with celery sticks and carrots or you could have each meatball drizzled with dressing and poked with a toothpick so they’re ready to eat!
I’ve also served these buffalo chicken meatballs for dinner. You can serve them over rice (or cauliflower rice) or simply pair with a salad or other veggie side and you’re good to go!
What to Pair with Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Dips – I like eating these meatballs as an appetizer paired with a blue cheese or ranch drizzle. You can also serve with extra ranch or blue cheese on the side for dipping. I also recommend fresh celery or carrot sticks to cool your mouth between bites, especially if your buffalo sauce is on the spicy side!
- Veggies – if you want to enjoy this as a main dish, I love these meatballs served over cauliflower rice or with a side of roasted vegetables like my broccoli or root vegetables.
How to Store
These meatballs are great for meal prep! Once cooled completely, store meatballs in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. To reheat, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and heat in the oven at 350°F until warm throughout. Alternatively, you can also reheat these in the microwave, toaster oven or air fryer.
More Game Day Snacks
- Sweet Potato Skins
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Cheesy Cauliflower Nachos
- Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Creamy Hummus
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Black Bean Dip
- Healthy Guacamole
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup buffalo sauce, divided
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup finely diced carrots
- ⅓ cup almond flour or ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- blue cheese dressing or ranch and blue cheese crumbles, for serving
- celery sticks and carrot sticks, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground chicken, ¼ cup buffalo sauce, egg, green onions, carrots, almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Using a cookie scoop or small spoon, scoop the ground chicken mixture and use your hands to form into balls.
- Place the meatballs onto a prepared baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle on remaining ¼ cup hot sauce and gently toss the meatballs.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of blue cheese or ranch dressing and extra green onions sprinkled on top.
- Mini meatballs – This recipe makes 12-15 regular size meatballs or 25 mini meatballs.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.