Healthy 7-Layer Dip
Published Apr 30, 2021, Updated Feb 03, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This healthy layer dip starts with a base of refried beans and is packed with fresh veggies. It’s the perfect dip for parties and/or game day snacking!
If you’ve ever made seven layer dip, you know how amazing it is! It’s basically a combo of Tex-Mex dips and sauces layered into one epic dip that’s perfect for snacking and sharing. It’s my go-to for game day and Cinco de Mayo!
Some layered dips have no texture, but this is not that kind of recipe! The veggies add freshness along with the crunch factor that everyone craves when snacking.
What is 7-Layer Dip?
Also known as taco dip or 7-layer dip, this dip is a common American appetizer. According to a quick search, I found that it was popular in Texas and then was first published in print in 1981.
Since then, countless variations have been made but the base recipe remains the same: delicious layers of Tex-Mex ingredients!
Healthy Layer Dip Ingredients
This recipe follows the traditional seven layer dip ingredients, but with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo! Here’s what you’ll need:
Layer 1: Refried Beans
- Refried beans are the base of the dish. I like keeping it simple with store-bought beans, but you’re welcome to use homemade. And feel free to use refried pinto beans or refried black beans.
Layer 2: Seasoned Greek Yogurt
- Greek yogurt is a a healthy upgrade from sour cream, but trust me it’s still tangy and delicious! And we’re mixing it with taco seasoning for lots of flavor. Feel free to make your own taco seasoning or buy a pre-mixed version.
Layer 3: Guacamole
- You can use store-bought or homemade guacamole. I personally love my healthy guacamole with frozen peas.
Layer 4: Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- I typically use fresh pico de gallo, because it’s delicious and doesn’t contain as much liquid, but any salsa will work! If your salsa seems liquidy, I recommend straining it.
Layer 5: Cheese
- You can’t have layer dip without some shredded Mexican cheese. That said, if needed you can omit the cheese to make this dish vegan and dairy-free. It’s delicious both ways!
Layer 6: Veggies
- Romaine lettuce – this adds a nice crunch!
- Cherry tomatoes – I love the flavor explosion cherry tomatoes have with every bite!
Layer 7: Toppings of choice
- Olives – sliced black olives are usually the final topping for layer dip. I don’t love black olives so I left them off, but feel free to add them if you like them.
- Jalapeño pepper – optional, but this dip is great with a little spice if you like that sort of thing!
- Fresh cilantro leaves – to bring the entire dish together!
How to Serve 7-Layer Dip
This dip is AMAZING for parties and game-day, but I have to mention that it’s not JUST for parties. During the recipe testing process Isaac and I polished off a whole batch for dinner one night. Which actually isn’t a bad thing considering it’s basically a taco salad – just in dip form. It’s got lettuce and everything!
Can You Make it Ahead of Time?
I’ve found this dip is best when you make it the same day you plan to serve. There are so many fresh ingredients that it just tastes the best fresh! Plus, the guacamole will start to brown quickly.
If you’re in a pinch, you can definitely prep the recipe the day before, cover with an airtight cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Layer dip is typically served chilled because of the sour cream (Greek yogurt) and guacamole!
How to Store Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. The guacamole may brown a bit, but the dip is still safe to eat.
More Tex-Mex Recipes to Try
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Southwest Sweet Potato Black Bean Dip
- Mexican Sweet Potato Chicken Soup
- Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Red Chilaquiles
The Most Popular Appetizers
- Easy Shrimp Cocktail
- Easy Black Bean Dip
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Lima Bean Hummus
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Healthy Guacamole with Frozen Peas
- Cheesy Cauliflower Nachos
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Healthy Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Creamy Vegan Queso
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
Be sure to check out all of the appetizers here on EBF as well as my collection of healthy game day recipes!
Healthy 7 Layer Dip
- 1 15 oz can refried beans
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup guacamole, store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup pico de gallo or salsa, store-bought or homemade
- ⅓ cup shredded Mexican cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ jalapeño, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ cup diced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced black olives, optional
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Mix yogurt with 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Spread refried beans evenly into the bottle of a square (8 x 8) dish to create the first layer. Add seasoned yogurt on top and gently spread to create the second layer. Then add the guacamole and spread.
- Scoop salsa with a slotted spoon. This step is optional, but it helps to remove extra liquid from the salsa.
- Add pico de gallo on top of the guacamole and then add remaining ingredients in the order listed: shredded cheese, romaine lettuce, jalapeño pepper, cherry tomatoes, cilantro and black olives, if using.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge until ready. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers or fresh veggies for dipping. Best served the day you make it, but will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Vegan option: Buy vegan refried beans and skip the cheese or use a vegan cheese.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
That sounds really good. I love hummus. Have a great week!
Living in Texas I’m always on the lookout for good Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes. This looks like a great recipe for a Mexican dip that’s tasty yet healthy and natural. Plus, a good way to get your veggies. The hummus and black beans are a nice touch.
Thanks Max. I hope you get a chance to try it!
I love this idea! Happening this weekend! TY!
Woo-hoo! Let me know how you like it. 🙂
Looks good 🙂 ! Love this idea
This looks so good! I love hummus 🙂
Hummus lovers unite. <3
This sounds amazing! What a great idea. I love refried beans but look forward to trying this healthy version. I recently found the Sabra pico and I can’t get enough! I’ve been putting it on top of everything.
Yay! You’ll have to let me know what you think if you end up trying the recipe. And oh man, isn’t the Sabra pico de gallo delicious?
So good! Hubby and I ate over half of it with our chicken wings! I will forever add some taco seasoning to sour cream (I used cream rather than yogurt). Thanks once again Brittany!
Yay! I’m so glad you and your hubby loved this dip. Thanks for making it and coming back to leave a review, I so appreciate it!